How early should you start looking for an apartment?

I am looking to start my lease June 1st, but almost all of the listings are available now. Do people usually start their lease right after their application is accepted?
  • March 25 2012 - South Beach
  • 0

Apartment hunting has seasons. 9/10 times your lowest prices will be in the winter. If you don't ave that much time then usually the more time the better. Then again a lot of rentals will have last minute deals. Its a bit of a gamble so enter at your own risk

Profile picture for Don Greenberg
Location would determine how soon you need to start, as Wetdawgs stated. If there is an oversupply of units, then you just need to give yourself ample time to find something suitable. People do not necessarily start the lease the day the application is accepted. Find units you like and see how long they will hold the unit. Being this early in the game, I don't see anyone holding a unit vacant for 2 months, possibly by the end of April, some people may hold a unit.

It depends on where you are looking.   In an average area, I'd start looking 3 to 6 weeks before I need to start the lease.    If I were in a college area swamped with college students, then my plans would be different.