Profile picture for highlander29

How good of an investment would a condo in downtown Chicago or near north/south side be?

September 19 2010 - US

The right deals are out there but you should definitely be working with a quality agent on investment decisions. Too much to list here. I work this area so call or email me if you still have interest.

That question needs more information before it is answered. I am not from the area, but real estate as an investment can be good or bad depending on a number of factors. Price, condition, location, number of bedrooms & bathrooms, also your exit strategy is important. Is this going to be a buy a flip, buy/rehab & flip or to hold onto as a rental? If a rental, what is the rental market like? Check out some local advertisements. Are there a lot of rentals available in that area. If so the market may be flooded with empty places. If not, you should be able to rent it out fairly quick. What is the price you are paying vs. what have been selling recently? Are there any positive changes being made to that neighborhood such as new businesses or jobs or maybe something with the infrastructure such as a new train or school. So hopefully a realtor from your area steps in and answers this question, but before they do you may need to add more info on the property and your intentions.Most real estate is a good investment in the long run. Especially in major cities. Think about it, the population is growing at an alarming rate, yet there are no new plots of land in Chicago being added to the globe. Hope this was at least somewhat helpful. If you ever want to buy in NJ look me up. By the way, there is a bar in Chicago named after me "Jake Melnick's". ha ha ha. just found that out recently because my buddy was out there on vaca.