How is Construction Quality figured?

I've noticed when I look up the facts re: houses, there is a category called "Construction Quality."  It's usually under the "Other Sources" column instead of the "County Records" column.  I assume it is a scale of 1 - 10 that these houses are scored on.  Who comes up with this number and HOW do they determine it? 
  • August 10 2013 - Oklahoma City
  • 0

The answer of the UB was straight from Zillow BUT it wasn't an answer addressing the one piece of data in the original question called "construction quality". 

Construction quality is assigned at the time when the home was built and does not give a hint as to the maintenance of the home.   A 6 could be in far better shape than 8 or even a 13 if the home owners took good care of the place.  

Did you find a definition on your county's website?  Here's a link to the one in King County Washington (where Zillow is located).   Scroll down to "Building Grade"   (not Building Condition).    The range varies dramatically from county to county.

It seems to me that the UB Home Team is right on target.  They took their answer straight from Zillow.  Zillow has a little question mark that you can "hover" over and open.  It states:

"Disclaimer:  The information in this column combines data from broker listing feeds, user-submitted information, and county records.  The information in the 'county records' column contains only what is recorded in county records."

I very much appreciate all of your prompt answers!  I still don't know why one house I'm considering has an "8" and another has a "6."  They seem very comparable.  I just looked up my current home's "construction quality."  It has a "6."  But, this house is as solid as a rock!  So, I guess it's a matter of opinion? Seems odd.  Thanks, again!

The UB home team's response "According to Zillow, it appears to be a combination of Broker listing feeds, user submitted info and county records." is so off target I'm speechless (good thing, you wouldn't want to read what I really was thinking).

UB home team:  can you provide a quote (link) from Zillow substantiating your assertion?

Profile picture for UB Home Team
According to Zillow, it appears to be a combination of Broker listing feeds, user submitted info and county records.  As Realtors, we started seeing a quality scores in some of our exclusive property data feeds last year.  The Zillow quality number is not much different than their Zestimate, in our opinion. The true formula is unknown to the general public or industry.

As with any home or area, quality is a variable best assessed with on-site home visits. We have all seen "eights" that should be bull-dozed and rebuilt. On the other hand, some "twos" should have received better exposure, because the home was beautiful!

Best of luck in your search and info gathering!

UB Home Team

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
Much of the information about homes is from public information sites from the state and county the home is in. These ratings would then be a local thing used by the local governments and would not be able to be used to compare, let's say, homes in St Louis vs Miami. What they mean would require asking the local building or tax departments that created and used those ratings.

This is a number that is determined by your county assessor's office, usually during construction and comes from public records.     The range seems to vary from county to county.  In my county is called "build grade" and the definition is found in the glossary on the county assessor's website.  The range in my county is 1 to 13 with 13 being mansion quality.   Other counties are 1 to 5.  But, I certainly am familiar with only a few counties.