How long do we have to move out if our landlord sells the home we are renting?

Our landlord has put up the home we are renting for sale, and we are just wondering if it sells how long do we have to move out? Also, if it sells are we still required to pay rent until we have to move out? Our lease just ended the beginning of this month. 
  • December 06 2012 - West Valley City
  • 1

@carden:

The new owner must follow the laws of your state about the deposit (which you have written receipt).   The rental agreement with the old landlord and deposit carries to the new owner.      Most states have a time frame when the deposit must be return, and any deductions documented in detail.   Search for your state's laws and what to do if the deposit is not returned (or a list of deductions is not received in the time frame defined by law).   
  • 2 days ago

Profile picture for carden1690
my landlord sold the house and we had to move before contract ended and now she wont return our deposit.. what can we do?
  • 2 days ago

Profile picture for hoofbeatcreek
In the state of Missouri Does the landlord have the right to show the property for sale before the tenant's lease has expired And does the landlord have to at least give a tenant 24 hours notice in advance to showing the home?
  • June 14

Profile picture for alfarog1225
My landlord sold the building. The new owner wants to remodel the apartments . What am I entitled during remodeling in living expenses? Or, if I decide to move out completely and don't want tos stay because of they are  remodeling . What am I entitled for moving expenses and for how long? 
  • June 12

The Texas State Bar has a Tenant Rights Handbook that might be helpful. The Austin Tenant Council has information on legally denying landlord's access for specific reasons including when you as a resident are sick. If you need legal advice or more information, you can contact the Texas Tenant Council in your local area for help.

You cannot deny entry to the landlord for reasonable showings so it is best to try to work toward a common solution if the property is being shown. The law requires that the landlord be reasonable in their showings and it does not require you as a tenant to leave, clean up or permit showings without notice except in a repair emergency. Hope the links help.
  • June 03

Profile picture for wellsdak
we are in Texas
  • June 03

"With a disabled husband who just had major surgery, can the landlord force us to leave when they are showing the house to potential buyers?  They are asking us to leave the house for 2 or more hours in the evening with less than 24 hour notice."

The answer is no, but I would set up the landlord who is demanding that to cover yourself.  Tell the landlord to email or call your voice mail/recorder again to tell you what you need to do for showings as far as the 2 hours window to vacate and any clean up that they want too. Be nice first, try to sound clueless and compliant so don't look like you are going to refuse.

Once you have it in a recorded phone message or email. Tell them no. Tell them you will not vacate. Tell them you will refuse illegal entry without proper notice or outside of accepted hours and that you will not hesitate to pursue them in court for breaking the lease.

What state are you in? I will try to find you a link to your local tenant law or local tenant rights agency.
  • June 03

@wellsdak:

No, they cannot force you to leave for showings.  Nor can they force you to have the home in tip top showing state.    In some states they have to give you 24 h notice, other states it is "reasonable notice" (which can be less than 24 h).

• June 03

Profile picture for wellsdak
With a disabled husband who just had major surgery, can the landlord force us to leave when they are showing the house to potential buyers?  They are asking us to leave the house for 2 or more hours in the evening with less than 24 hour notice.
  • June 03

Profile picture for godzkidz38
I need help in Utah , I have lived at my home for 9 and a half years we had a year lease and of course month to month and the owner decided to sale on may 9 , and the new owner told me I had 30. To get out she needs a place too live, she handed mW a 30 day notice on the 11th was not notarized and she then stated when can you get out I don't want to make to payments because of you , then she is having her. Son on law tear upy back feild is she i n the wrong , what. Arey rights
  • May 22

bobandpat:    Each state has laws about notice that a landlord has to give to end tenancy.     If you are renting month to month, usually that is 30 days. In some states if you've rented over a year and are renting month to month, then it is 60 days notice.    If you have a lease, then it can be the end of the lease.      They cannot evict you by turning off utilities in most states.    They cannot discriminate against you because you are disabled, but that also means you don't get special benefits in notice because of disability.

So, whether or not it is 20 or 30 days, you better start looking.    I hate moving and sympathize.   Good luck.

• May 14

Profile picture for bobandpat3740
If I am disable and the landlord comes over and says you will have to move out in 20 days, we are shutting the water off at the end of the month, have never been late on the rent and have paid till the end of the month bobsanpat3740@gmail.com
  • May 14

Hi Johnny (johnycmolina):

Since you live in California and if you've leased the home for OVER one year, the owner MUST give you 60 days to move out.  If you've been there for less than a year, then they only need to give you 30 days.

• May 06

Profile picture for johnycmolina
The house was sold ......I was paying month to month for 1 year ...the new owner came with the deed of the house ...told me I have 30 days ...I need more time ...it's hard to get into a apartment or house in California. ..i need more time ...what can I do ...please help
  • May 05

@asaro254:  the 60 days has to end at or after the lease ends.   If your lease has 21 days left and hasn't been renewed, then the 60 d notice starting today is fine.   They could have given it to you 39 d ago so 60 d ended the same day your lease ended and been in compliance.

@MirnaFlorida:   As long as the landlord complies with your state laws about notice for  non-emergency access, they can show while you are gone.   Lock up your valuables.  If there are guns, make sure you have a gun safe.
  • April 11

Profile picture for asaro254
Hello, i am in California & our lease still has 21 days left on it. We were handed a 60 day notice . is that breach of contract. Legally isnt it supposed to be after lease has ended???
  • April 11

Profile picture for mirna wilson
Hi:

We are renti ga house almost for3 years the management company havea problem with the owner(leaving in france) and he change management company y put the house in sale.  Now we are going for vacations for 2 weeks and the new management company wants us to show the house when we are not here .  We dont want to show the house when we are not here, my husband is a hunter and we have alot of values here, WHAT WE CAN DO?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

MIRNA florida
  • April 10

Profile picture for amanda rifenburgh
My landlord had us sign a one year lease one time 7 years ago. Now he is doin month to month i thought that if after that month was up and the house is sold right after that i had 30 days from the day it closes. I live in MI. But i get all diff answers. He has only had it on the market for a week and already might have it sold. I have found an apartment but it will not be ready for a month i dont know what to do with myself , my kids and my things until then if they want us out asap i do not wanna move twice in one month. I have spoke wth landlord n he basically dont care.
  • March 20

Profile picture for Rick Schwab
The new owners have to honor the lease. However read your lease. A lot of them have a 30 day clause saying the landlord only needs to give 30 days notice to vacate the premises. That being said every state is different im sure... best bet, read your lease page by page, the answer is most likely in the writing.
  • January 14

Profile picture for Sherrie75
I am also in the same situation. I live in Texas. We signed a 2 year lease, and have been here for one year. Our payments have always been on time. We have received an email today stating that they are wanting to sell, and are giving us 30 days notice. He also stated a certified letter will be here soon. No where in our lease does it state that we will need to vacate apon the selling of the home. I have tried looking up the tenant laws here, but cannot find my issue. Would anyone know can I fight this? He is refusing to talk to us about his plans for selling. Thanks!
  • January 14

I live in Arizona , my lease as ended and the landlord sent me a renewal throw email and before I could sign 2 days later they gave me a non renewal notice to vacate in 30 days. Can they do this or do I have more time to vacate?
  • January 14

Profile picture for BrianMcClung5
during a signed lease by law new owners have to honor that lease

Pistolked:

A new owner has to accept the terms of the rental agreement, but please be aware that buyers who plan to make the property their primary residence must take occupancy before 60 days is up.  

Please note:  in the CA landlord tenant guide on page 51 it says if the landlord is selling the property to someone who plans to make it their primary residence, only 30 days written notice is required.  

You may wish to discuss this carefully and respectfully with your landlord so you know their plans.

Profile picture for pistolekd
Question...my lease has expired and I am now month to month.  My landlord has listed the property and I want to know what timeframe I have in order to move out.  I was told that he has to give me 60 days notice to vacate (I am in CA).  So it's really his choice...he can give it to me now before he as an offer - or when he accepts an offer.   But if he goes that route... the buyer would have to know that I have 60 days to vacate, yes?

Profile picture for mreagan02
Doug Ranger,

When does the 60 days start?  After escrow closes?  The old owner can't give you 60 days if he/she isn't the owner anymore, right?

Thank you for any light you can shine on this......

Matt

@hernandezmonicadh2012:

If you have a lease, in most states the lease survives a sale unless there was a clause about early ending due to putting house on the market.  If you are renting month by month, the landlord can give you notice at any time.  A two month notice is probably sufficient but please check your state's laws.

Profile picture for hernandezmonicadh2012
HI. This is happening to me. The place I am renting is on the market for sale but has not been sold yet. Yesterday I got a letter to vacate in 60 days. Can the landlord do this? Or Can he only send me a 60 day notice to vacate once it is sold?
Not to mention that I had expressed interest in purchasing the place and I was just waiting for him to come to me with the asking price...... Then unexpectedly received the letter

Thank you

Here in Arizona if you have a signed lease and have a clean payment history and paying market value for rent, the new buyer has to honor the lease. You can agree to a buy out if you want but you still have a right to the property.

Hope this helps.

Hi User64610515,

Different States have different rules on this.  However, in Connecticut the rules are as follows:  "The lease runs with the property".  Meaning that the terms agreed too (in Writing), by you and the current owner, will transfer to the new owner.  Because of this, you have the legal right to use the property through the duration of your current lease.  Once your lease expires you'd have to renegotiate it with the new owner.  Keep in mind that if you have a clause in your lease stating the lease becomes void with the sale of the property (very rare), then you may be asked to vacate on transfer.  Some Connecticut leases will have a clause that cancels the lease if the property becomes foreclosed on, or if it is assuemed through Eminent Domain (The State or City taking over the property for Community Use).  If your lease is verbal or Month to Month, you may be asked to leave with 30 days' notice. 

I hope this helps!

-Daniel D. Thomas

It all depends, if the new owner will want to lease that property to you. if not you will have 60 days to move out.  If he sells the home he will have to give your security deposit to the new owner.
Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

1. 1
  2. 2