Profile picture for carlakcmo

How long does it take for pre-approval when using a VA Loan

• March 23 2014 - Kansas City
  • 0

Profile picture for benjiedevera
Pre-aproval for a VA loan should take a few hours. One day max if the lender you landed is that busy. I used a VA loan myself, and it didn't take any longer than a conventional loan. You'll definitely need a COE (certificate of eligibility), which will allow the VA to tell you how much entitlement you have. Good luck @carlacmo

Although there can be some added things to take into account with a VA loan, provided the prospective buyer has all the needed information, I have never had it take more than 24 hours for my buyers to obtain a pre-approval. I would caution you that if you have a lender that takes significantly longer without a legitimate reason for the delay, it would be a good idea to talk to one or more other lenders. It could be an indication of how they conduct business which could create a headache for you later down the road. Thank you for your service and I wish you the best!!

Hi there,

First and foremost I would like to say thank you for your service to our great country. My name is Jimmy Vercellino and I am a United States Marine Corps Veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom Fallujah, and Mortgage Originator Specializing in VA Loans. 

To answer your question, a VA pre-approval / pre-qualification should not take your lender much time at all. While it's not uncommon for this to be done on the same day of your inquiry, you'll want to make sure that you lender is knowledgable in the VA Loan arena, and is giving you sound advice and detailed review prior to your pre-approval being issued. 

VA Loans are unique and have different requirements compared to FHA and Conventional Home Loans. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. 

Semper Fidelis, 
Jimmy Vercellino 

Most Loan Officers worth a darn should be able to get it done in a couple of hours or worst case in a day. Let me know if you need assistance, as I am a Veteran with over 25 years experience. Please feel free to contact me direct by clicking on my profile and shooting me a message. Please don't forget to leave your contact phone number. Many times when I reply from a Zillow questions, it goes into people's spam for some reason.

Best of Luck!

Hello, Assuming you have a straightforward application it should take less than 24 hours for most experienced VA lenders. Look for a local lender, that you have the ability to meet face to face if you wish to. Good Luck!