How long does it take to close after I lock in?

My LO just sent me an email attaching the appraisal that was done a couple days ago for me to review and told me to lock in mortgage rate. I wanted to know how long it usually take to close on the house after I lock in & what other steps I need to get done in the process before closing? My contract date is Nov. 16. 2012. Thank you
  • December 06 2012 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for KW Novello

The appraisal is one of the most important steps to getting loan approval. Once you know that the property appraised, the lender can submit the file to underwriting. It is difficult to say not knowing any specifics, but a closing usually takes 30 days total without any major hiccups, so you are close!

Profile picture for BeachBrokerBill
Generally, if you are locking your loan rate, you are expecting to close in 30 days or less assuming your lock is a 30 day lock. With the appraisal being complete, it would seem you are getting very close to closing. Really, without knowing the specifics of your transaction, it is impossible to answer your question as it is really for your agent and lender to answer. Just remember, that the deal isn't done until it is recorded...so get your paperwork and forms filled out and turned in as soon as you can to avoid delays.

The general time frame from contract to closing in our area is 30 days.  However, a lot of lenders are much slower than that, particular some of the better known large banks.  I agree that you need a realistic answer from your Loan Officer.

Keep in mind, many things can happen that will delay closing so you want to try to have a little buffer of time between your anticipated closing date and the expiration of your rate lock if possible.

For a purchase, with our company we usually lock in the rate when you sign the mortgage application and close in 30 days. Every lender is different. I would ask your LO that question.