Profile picture for ingridlamb

How long does it take to get your amended tax return for 8000 00 tax credit? IRS Received it 12 7 09

• December 14 2009 - Orlando

Profile picture for Mark LeMenager
Even if you filed for it with your 2009 return, the delay would be longer than normal as these are claims are being carefully checked.  Sorry.

Profile picture for ingridlamb

well... that sucks big time! I actually ammended it because the person that does my taxes told me that it should take 4 to 6 weeks. She charged me $150.00 to ammend my taxes. Now I am being told it will take 12 to 16 weeks... maybe 20, which means I should have waited because i will get my tax refund for 2009 before I even get my 8000 first time home buyer credit... That is crazy! I am hoping for a miracle.

Profile picture for Mark LeMenager
Hi Ingrid,

I've personally filed amended tax returns many times in the past.  (Lived in Europe for 18 years and there are frequently updates and corrections required.)

In my experience it normally took a couple of months for the IRA to send me a refund, when one was due.  With respect to this tax credit, do keep in mind that they are checking them all carefully for fraud, so I wouldn't be surpised if it takes 3 or 4 months.

Good luck, Mark

The two I know personally who've applied took between 8 and 12 weeks.  So, sit back and be patient.  I hope you didn't have immediate need for the money.

This article was in my local paper. Sorry I can't give you good news.
star trib