Profile picture for Carrie K

How long should it take before your agent gets back to you on anything new?

My agent, who was recommended by a family member, told me that she was available 4 days in a row this week. The first time meeting her was the 1st day when we went out. She showed me about 10 homes, which she also seemed to rush me through. After we were done, she said she was going to be able to find me my perfect home. From that, I assumed that she got more of an understanding of what I was interested in. That evening, she e-mailed me 10 more listings and out of all of them, only one home was something I was interested in. The other 9 were homes totally out of the area I wanted to be in. I asked her to stay away from that area. Four days later, she has not sent me anything new nor has she contacted me. I am a first time home buyer, so I do not know if this is normal. For me, it feels like it is just taking forever. I just don't know if my expectations are unrealistic. 

• August 07 2014 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for Hannah Tai Homes
A relationship between a realtor and a client is like any other - you need to have a sense that you're on the same page, and that the fit feels right.

Sometimes it takes a few times to get in a groove with someone so that you're comfortable, but if you're feeling dissatisfied with her, then listen to your gut and think about using someone else. Frankly, I would be completely annoyed by the way she works.

It's hard to be a part-time realtor, because when your clients need you, you have to be there. And when we're not showing you homes, we should be spending that time researching and previewing new listings, and communicating on a regular basis, whether there is anything new to share or not. Four days is a long time not to be in touch with a client, new or otherwise, and I can understand your frustration.

Ten homes in one day is an awful lot - I would limit it to 6 or 7, and spend enough time to really get an idea of what the home feels like and whether it appeals to you. She should be asking questions as you move along through your tour so she can hone in on what your likes and dislikes are. You should be direct with your agent if you continue to work with her, and tell her what your needs are. She should be bending over backwards to accommodate you - not the other way around. Good luck!

Get a gnu agent...

It sounds like you need to systematically interview agents to find one who can do the job for you that you wish/desire.    While we've certainly interviewed Realtors from the family/neighbors/boss's wife etc, all of them have been in competition with a good group of candidates.          

Profile picture for Carrie K
Thanks for all the responses! I am going to try and respond to all of these answers. 

I might also want to mention that she told me she has a part time job, which she did not tell me about until she took a very long time to get back to me. I told her that if she needed to get back to her job, and some personal issues she had mentioned, that I would understand. I just want someone to be honest with me. If I feel as though she is not spending her time looking for a home for me, which I do, I want her to be straight about it. She is friends with a family member on Facebook and is constantly posting dumb quizzes and what not, but tells me she had absolutely no time to get anything together. 

In each home we visited, we did not spend more than 5-10 minutes in each home. She could tell I was getting confused with how many homes we saw, but we kept going. I did take notes when I left each home, which was helpful. 

I have personally visited sites and I have found several homes that have popped up on the market in the area where I am looking, some of which have pending offers after only being on the internet for a day. I do not know if I should continue bothering her about things I see on the internet or wait for her to say she has found something. I have heard that it really pisses off real estate agents when you do their job for them, and realistically I have probably done a lot more home searching than she has. 

Thanks for the buyer consultation suggestion. I may need to do them if I decide she is just not working out. I too believe that this is probably the biggest investment I will ever have, and it is not to be taken lightly by anyone. As of right now, I am not impressed considering she has gone $30,000 higher than our pre-approval and then tells me that she does not think the price would come down. 

She should have a clear understanding of what I am looking for. I have told her several times yet continues to go out of the area of what I am looking for in terms of the house or the house location or the price of the house. I honestly feel as though I talk and it goes in one ear and out the other. 

Most of the areas that I am interested in, she is not familiar with. There is only one city that she is familiar with. I spoke with her before we started looking and she said she knew the areas, but now that we are looking she said she has no idea where we are. We got lost several times, and because she insisted on driving in separate vehicles, she slammed on her breaks many times while I was behind her. I wonder if I should just find someone else that knows all of the areas I am looking in??? 

I guess my issue is I imagined that she would contact me to at least tell me she is still looking and hasn't found anything (which could not be possible since I have found another 8-10 homes I like) or to tell me she has found something and that she is setting up appointments. 

How many clients do real estate agents currently have at any given time? Or what is a normal acceptable amount? 

Thanks in advance!!!

TALK with her.   Spend time discussing expectations.   It takes a lot of back and forth to get it right in discussions like this.

If you feel hurried seeing 10 homes in one day, perhaps she had appointments set up with the houses of interest and a 1 hour looking session meant you'd be late to the next appointment.  10 homes is a lot in one day even if you spend only 10 minutes in each home.

I have no idea where you are looking and the size of area of interest, but it is quite possible that no homes have come on the market in the last two or three days or especially no homes that meet your criteria.   For example, if I look in my zip code and look for houses that have come on the market in last last 3 days, I find 2.  Would those meet your criteria?  I have no idea.  

Hello! Great question. You want to find an agent that will be able to accommodate your schedule. Its important to set up showings in advance to also accommodate the sellers. The best way to find your best buyer agent is to ask for a Buyer Consultation. You can give them your expectations and see if its a good fit. Once you have a great source for possible homes, for instance a Client Portal from  your local MLS, you can then drive by them to confirm you like the area, traffic patterns, neighboring properties etc.
Then set up a time that is convenient for you.

Previewing a property should include a print out for you, and time to walk thru and let you assess if this is a possible house for you or on to the next.

Ask questions, take notes, then when you are finished you can sit down and assess each property and decide if its on your yes or no or maybe list!

Cooperation and communication are the key elements in any realtor/client relationship.

You'll know when you meet them.

If not, look on Zillow to find an agent with great reviews and interview them!

Its a huge investment and you deserve the best info so you can make a decision that's best for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for your time,

People are different and so are there goals. The most important aspect of buying a home calls for creating a home buying strategy. This process should be done with your Realtor so your Realtor is well informed about what you're looking for. I would revisit this approach and talk your concerns with YOUR realtor. I am sure once she has a better understanding of what you're looking for it will be much easier for her an efficent for you to see properties that better suit your needs. 

Good Luck. 

People are all different and are attracted to different attributes. I'm wondering if this family member was one experienced in buying and selling and who liked to direct activities and take control. Maybe they were actively on the internet locating the homes they wanted to see and this agents strong points lie in negotiations and problem solving, which are very important once you find the home.

Nobody knows what you like better than you. Have you been pre-approved so you know exactly what your price range is? Are you actively looking at sites such as this one, Realtor.com, etc. to find homes that "speak to you" to ask her about?  By doing this, you can also discover if there is anything on the market in the area you like that she could have found and contacted you about.

10 homes is a lot to see in one swoop. Unless you take notes at each home, they all start to melt into each other in your mind. It also takes a long time to see that many so you don't get the time to examine each one. 5-6 is a more doable number and note taking is still advised.

On our MLS, there is a feature where we can put in criteria about size, price, area, location, etc and emails will go to our buyers automatically whenever something comes on the MLS with those parameters. You might ask her about that.

It's probably because she hasn't found any more homes that match what you're looking for. It also appears that your expectations are that you want her to contact you every few days whether or not she has found something. If that is the case, she may not realize it. You should have a open discussion on what your expectations are. She can do the same. That way, neither of you will be frustrated or disappointed.