Profile picture for hester1971

How long should it take for my agent to get back to me after I request to see a home that's for sale

Twice now we have waited over 48 hours to hear back from our agent with a yes or no after asking to schedule a showing for a house we're interested in.  We are wondering how long it typically should take.  Is she holding up the response? Is it the seller's agent or the seller? We're frustrated!

March 31 2013 - Dardenne Prairie

Sometimes sellers, renters, listing Brokers have reasons that they don't get back to you with answers.  This can be annoying but whatever the reason for delay a good Agent will contact you and let you know they are still waiting and keep you informed.  Maybe you need to shop around a little more

Profile picture for hester1971
Josh - We are asking her to schedule showings for us on homes that we have found on trulia and realtor.com. I texted her Friday night asking her to see if she could schedule a second showing on a home we saw earlier in the week. We wanted to see if we could get in to see it Monday morning (tomorrow). Her response was "I'll see what I can do.", and we haven't heard from her since. 

Are you calling on homes that are on the market or on non-market sites, like craigslist or others like craigslist? 

I agree, 48 hours is too long.  2 Hours is too long!  My company and my team believe in an instant response (whenever possible) to maximize every relationship and contact!

I too try to respond as quickly as possible, however if I am with another client, it can take up to a couple or few hours. Sometimes my clients prefer to text or email me. Depending on where I am, I can sometimes respond more quickly through that form of communication. I agree with several of the other professionals here, you should address this issue with your agent. If he/she is not willing to find a solution, you should probably look for someone else to help you with your purchase.

48 hours is too long.  Most clients would have started looking for a new agent.  I get back to my client within the hour even if I don't have the answer to their question.  If I am unable to contact them in that timeframe, I have my assistant call or email them.  Communication is key in real estate and all agents should be committed to their clients.  Good luck.

Cindy Schlee, Realtor
Grand Rapids MI
[deleted by Zillow  moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

You and your agent should discuss how you like to communicate. If the showing request cannot be confirmed, then tell your agent you want a response from her. When you wish to view a home, it may be better to tell your agent you are free on a particular day/time and give two options in case your agent cannot accommodate one of those times.

As Realtors, we do not know we are not meeting your expectations unless you tell us. Speak up and if you are still not satisfied, move on and find an agent who is working for YOU!

To follow up on my original reply... Once I acknowledge a request, I attempt to set the appointment and immediately respond back to my client with the answer, be it an appointment or the fact that I needed to leave a message for the listing agent. Bottom Line:  If I don't take care of my clients, somebody else will.

If you are posting this question, then they are taking too long. The market is better than last year and agents need to stay on top of it and should be setting your showing for either later that day if possible or the next day. They are getting paid well to be your agent, and if you are already not happy with them, I would stop wasting time and interview other agents.

Why don't you ask her?   If she responds to your request promptly but it takes a couple of days related to scheduling the showing there could be dozens of reasons involved.

Buying a home is an exciting process and you certainly don't want to miss out on an opportunity. I would recommend contacting your agent and share your frustrations then ask for more frequent updates.  If you don't see an improvement then it may be time to reach out to another agent.  

Your agent should respond right away and let you know that she will be getting in touch with the listing agent or the owner (depending on the situation) to set up the viewing. Many times it is the listing agent or homeowner who is not responding in a timely fashion. Your agent should be diligent and persistent until she gets a response and it the interim she should be keeping you informed and touching base with you along the way.

Profile picture for hester1971
Thanks Larry - She does acknowledge the request, but from there we don't get an answer for as long as 48 hours.

I typically try to keep my response time under 10 minutes. I may not have an exact answer at that time, however, I will, at least, acknowledge the request.