Profile picture for abyssal2003

How long should it take my agent to submit an offer?

I saw a house on Saturday.  I emailed my agent that evening to let him know I wanted to submit an offer and included all necessary information.  It is now Sunday evening with no response.  Last weekend on another house he didn't didn't get back in touch with me until Monday afternoon and claimed that he had already sent the contract over, even though he did not (otherwise I would have it... Email doesn't get lost...)  Am I expecting too much to want an offer put in first thing Monday, after I Email the request Saturday night?  I want to talk to him about it, but am worried that this is just the way it is in the industry... He also never answers his phone when I call him unless it is right after he sends me an offer to sign.  This includes that whole monday last week that he let slip by with no offer.  Certainly these guys check their voicemails / Emails / Text messages... Right?

November 28 2010 - Charlotte

oops, 
@John Siddons, please be aware of dates.

Cajole John. He is the one that dug it up not Cindy.

@ Cindy This is an OLD posting and well answered. keep an eye on the dates.

I hope you are not still waiting!
;)

Most agents I've worked with fax or email my offer in the matter of a couple hours or drop it off at the office if they're nearby. They also call the other agent to let them know the offer is coming.

The scenario you describe in waiting several days to submit an offer does not sound good to me. I would do what I could to use a different agent or you will be stuck with this one if your offer is accepted.

I have emails directed to my phone and respond immediately.  I am also one of the few agents that use docusign, a paid service that allows for electronic signatures on documents.  I can zip an entire contract over to a client and have it signed by them and submitted in minutes.

As the client you should feel free to call him. Returning calls in a timely fashion is a by gone practice for people in general these days.. Did you interview this person and set your expectation before becoming his/her client?

Well, this is a touchy issue, but very legitamite. Many agents work til 5 on friday and dont work weekends. Also I have noticed it may take 3-4 days for a call back, even when we have offers ready to submit to them. Its ridiculous. I keep my phone in until 9pm and it comes back on at 7am.   8am on sat and sun. If I dont answer your call, I check my voicemail throughout the entire day and call back within normally an hour. I have to be inside a home with clients to not answer the phone. so normally as soon as I get in my vehicle, I do my call backs right then. In this market, if aa home is priced competitive, it may be under contract if you wait. If there is a home you saw and you want make an oiffer, it should be done immediately. i say if you requested to put the offer in on saturday, it should go in on saturday.
Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

There are truly agents out there whose work ethic is not up to industry standards.  Every offer is situational but there really should be no delay especially with the technology we have today.  Talk to the agent, be direct, and let them know about your frustration and how you want to move forward which may be letting him/her try to redeem themself or simply firing them.

Do yourself a big favor and fire this agnet immediately. He is a disgrace to the industry and doesn't deserve your business. Their behavior is unproffesiona to the extreme.

I would also suggest writing a letter to the Broker in Charge of the office they work in and let them know why you're firing them and that you will be letting everyone you come in contact with not only how lousy the agent is, but how lousy the office is for even having someone like this on their staff.

You could even pick up the phone and call the NC Real Estate Commission and file a complaint.

You should have had an offer ready for your signature on Sunday.

Please leave this agent and hopefully they'll realize just how bad they are and will give up their license.

Hi Abyssal,

I'm going to keep this short and sweet.  Did your agent show you the property? If not, fire their booty and talk to friends and family if they know any good Realtors®.  If your agent did show you the property, you migh owe two-commissions. One to your fired agent and your present agent.

I was really saddened dismayed to read your letter. What you described is definitely NOT our industry standard. As a matter of fact, we, as Realtors, are bound by a Code of Ethics that REQUIRES us to use best care practices with our clients which includes, among other things, responding to clients in a timely manner. There is simply no excuse for not following our Code of Ethics to the letter.That being said, there are Realtors who do not work on Sundays. If this is the case, your agent should have informed you of that up front (disclose! disclose!). I would have a friendly chat with your agent, tell him your concerns and if he is, in fact, unable to meet your needs, for whatever reason, get yourself another agent! You are the employer! There are a lot of awesome agents in your community who would love to have your business!

It may be that your agent does not work on week-ends. Did you have any conversations as to his office hours during your interview with him. There is no reason for an offer not to be submitted immediately after signing as long as you have all the necessary paperwork (pre approval letter, emd check, and all necessary addendums). I would have a long talk with him regarding communications and your expectations, and if he cannot meet them I would start to look for another agent. As to him telling you he sent you a contract, and he did not, I would ask him to forward me the email that he sent (which would have the date & time he sent it. If he cannot do that I would take that as a red flag that he is not the agent I want to have during crunch time when negotiations start and time is of the essence.

Not all agents in the industry work like that. It sounds like you've given your agent a reasonable chance. I would be concerned of his/her attention to detail once an offer is submitted. Some agents still have a Monday thru Friday, 9-5 work schedule mentality which isn't conducive in this industry. Though agents need to set some boundries and not be expected to be available 24/7, a response, in my opinion, is in order when it comes to submitting an offer. Time is of the essence. You may want to consider using another agent rather than have these problems later in the negotiation process and chance loosing out on an offer.

Talk to your agent and explain to them that you need more attention. If the agent can't give you that, maybe you should try a new agent. While there are times when an agent can't get right back to you, it shouldn't happen over and over again. 

Having said that, you have to ask yourself if there are things that you are doing that might make your agent reluctant to make offers for you. Are you making unrealistically low offers? Have you skipped from property to property? Do you have the info your agent needs to make an offer (like your pre-approval letter)? 

This sounds like you both need to communicate with each other better. If you expect a copy of an offer immediatly after he submits it to the listing agent then you should get it. If he does not deliver it to you when you expect it then you should go and interview as many agents as it takes to find one that can live up to your expectations. 

If your agent has not explained what his and your timeline is for submitting your offer then your guess is as good as mine of when it actually got sent to the listing agent. Have a heart to heart talk with him and set some reasonable expectations. If not, find a new agent.