Profile picture for SaraRusek

How long to update an edit request?

We are planning on putting our house on the market this month. We have contacted Zillow twice to try and correct the square footage they have listed for our house. They have it as 2,269 when the actual square footage is 3,239. This is negatively impacting our Zestimate and could turn off potential buyers. How long before that information will be updated? Is there someone I can talk with who can help fix this problem as soon as possible? Thank you. 
  • May 08 2012 - Colorado Springs
  • 0

You are welcome.  I'm glad you figured it out.

Profile picture for SaraRusek
I figured it out. My husband already claimed our house and forgot about it. The computer had me logged in so obviously the edit wasn't working b/c my house was already claimed. The facts are updated now I just have to wait for the Zestimate to catch up. Thanks for trying to help!!

Before you can edit the home facts, you have to claim the home on Zillow. If "claim your home" is not shown as an option in the edit drop down menu, perhaps your husband has claimed your home on Zillow.   If your husband has claimed your home on Zillow, then he will have to edit the square footage using his user name.    If neither of you has claimed the home (and it is not currently listed by an agent), then click on "report problem" found under "edit" and describe an incorrect owner claim.

A home can be "claimed" by only one user name at a time.  

Once you (or your husband) has claimed the home on Zillow, then the "edit home facts" will work.

Profile picture for SaraRusek
I guess I'm confused b/c the edit option had me send an email to Zillow stating the problem. I didn't personally get the option to edit it myself. I went to my home's page, clicked edit, and I could only send an email. I wish I could edit it myself.

So, you are saying that you or your husband already claimed the home and edited the square footage?  (It doesn't show in the record  for this posting name).    If that is the case, the new square footage  show immediately after the edits were done. 

Is Zillow the only site showing the incorrect square footage or do places like yahoo, Trulia, and others show it?   

I don't represent Zillow but suspect the gradual impact of edits on the Zestimate is due to an algorithm smoothing function. 

Profile picture for SaraRusek
The issue arises when we are planning on putting our house on the market this month. Both my husband and myself have edited our home facts, but we cannot wait the 2+ months they say it might take. It seems mighty unfair that a glich on the part of Zillow can negatively impact how buyers view my home. 

Home facts can be edited by the user.  You can update it in 2 minutes by yourself, which is the best way.

Claim your home
Edit home facts

As you can read in "What is a Zestimate?", once you've made the edits it takes time for it to reflect full in the Zestimate.