How many homes is too many in a day

We recently had a round table discussion about how many homes to show clients. I think for the clients sake, 6-7 is enough, unless there is a time problem, like out of town buyers or availability of either spouse (if that is the case) If you go longer, I always suggest we stop for lunch or coffee. Thoughts?
  • February 12 2011 - Cary
  • 0

Frankly I can't remember details even after five homes which is why I sometimes take photographs which help to refresh my memory.

If you are hauling a buyer to 100 homes to find the 'right' one, you have failed in determining from the very start what their wants and needs are and fine tune those desires as you go from home to home. There is a great deal of psychology attached to buying and selling and a lot of it involves uncovering the true wants and needs of a buyer, as opposed to what they think is 'pretty'. In the end practical needs will need to win out over a fantasy home - which rarely ever exists.

In my previous sales experience, I was taught that the first thing you do with a customer is ask them six leading questions. And if you didn't, you wasted a lot of time and ended asking the questions anyways.

Profile picture for Dublinguy
It depends on the clients, as a general rule no more then 10 in one day, with a lunch break in the middle. I always request that the client make their own personal notation on the MLS sheet while showing and summarize after leaving the house. Their notes are more meaning full to all at the end of the day. They are able to recall more details when reading what they wrote down on paper. Children or extended family that accompany usually results in poorer recall, so I lessen the number of showing.

If you leave me alone I can spend no more than 10 minutes in a house and decide if the layout works for me or not. Sometimes just coming in the front door is enough to say no. This is why we need more floor plans shown for listings. I am not talking about pretty stuff. I am talking layout.

If there were 50 houses in a row for sale I see no reason all could not be gone through in a day. However, if they were all the same it would make no sense to look at each one. I see more of a problem with travel time between houses as looking at a house for an initial evaluation should not take very long.

I have gone though an entire lot of a double-wide/modular house dealer before in under 2 hours perhaps a lot less time. Then the same day I went through 2 more dealers lots. Well over 2 dozen probably many more houses gone through. In the end there were several things I did not like and a few things I did. There was only one (which happened to be a double-wide) that had a really good floor plan for me. One place had a wall right in the way when you came through the front door. That was enough to say no way not this one. I was not looking so much to buy as to see what worked for me and what did not.

When looking to buy a house the second visit looking for more details could take a lot more time.  Thus a second trip looking at houses would take a lot more time for far fewer viewings. I would go over every inch of the house looking for defects. Having clean clothes available would probably be a good idea before getting back into the car. I would get dirty going through the attic and basement.

With my particular house demands a 1 acre (or less) lot with a tract house is not possible. Every house I see will be different than the rest. There will certainly be less than 2 dozen such houses in an area and it could be under 12 to meet my demands. Seeing them all in a day is both doable and advantageous for me.

Profile picture for Weld Realty
I like to take them to about 8. The houses become a blur after that.  If kids are in tow, I usually limit it to around 5. (#6 is when the breakdowns start to occur with the little ones). Having good Customer copies of the listings in a folder for the Buyer, along with a printout of the properties on a map, allows your clients to take good notes, and remember everything about each property.

As we all know real estate is a game of "depends".  I agree 6-8 is a good number when time is not a constraint.  Anymore is like buying potpourri,
it all begins to smell the same.

I like to take good notes on the comments my clients are making so I can get a better feel for what is important.  

I also have my clients keep a "Top 3"  list.  it helps narrow the search.

Buying a home is an important step that takes time and endurance.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
15 for me.  300 for some.  6 for most agents that I've seen posting on Zillow.

Really it depends on how much time the buyer needs in each, and how close they are to each other, and the buyer's means of evaluating and comparing.  If they see it and are not interested, that should only take 10 minutes.

Like most things there is no easy or right answers;  items to consider is distance between homes, travel conditions, buyers - both their energy and availability, average time the buyers spend in each home and if time needs be spent "touring" each neighborhood.  I always have the MLS sheets with photo to give to clients for their notes and comments, and we agree on a "name" for each house, (for example: the yellow home, the one with great kitchen) to help keep the homes seperate in our minds. Coffee breaks are a good idea.  Some times 3 homes are maximun and other clients can see  10.  The number of homes to view should be client, not agent driven.

I think that 10 is about the max max. I always think it's helpful to being a note pad and a digital camera to help keep track of the houses. Usually, though I think people know if a house clicks right away.