How many photos in a listing is enough?!

I have a question for my fellow REALTORS and clients and potential clients.

In a listing online, how many photos do you feel is necessary and what types? (inside, outside, certain rooms/amenities, etc.)

I look forward to your responses!

Michael Thacker
REALTOR
Louisville, KY

November 13 2013 - Louisville

Do you "walk" your photos through your listing? Start at the front and then take photos as you go from room to room, or just put them anywhere when you post them?

Michael Thacker
Realtor

March 10
When in training for the new Louisville area MLS system the question was asked of how many photos the new system will allow. The response from the trainer was "no limit"! This should be very interesting to see over the next few weeks as to how many some agents post and of what quality!

Michael Thacker
Realtor
Louisville, KY

January 16
The more the better! (Providing they are of quality).

Today's Buyers chose properties from online sources, well before they have found an agent to physically show them the properties or gather additional information. Its important to remember when we, as Agents, syndicate the listings to other sites, the listings with more photos are looked at more often than those with one photo!

Most Buyers today are tech savvy and want information instantly! 

One is enough.

However, we work for our sellers, and they insist that we provide "as many photos as possible," and so, we do.

The object is to entice actual buyers who are active in the market to want to come and see the property in person.

I have noticed that in the luxury goods market, there is generally one photo of the product, even in a full-page ad. Some automobile ads, especially two-page spreads, may have some detail photos. I've also noticed that in the Sunday New York Times Magazine, two-page condo/coop ads typically have one photo and maybe one floor plan.

BUT - it's customary around here to flood the MLS with photos, and so, that's what we do!

why not maximize the exposure?

I appreciate everyone's suggestion of 25 or more quality photos, and here is an alternative idea.

The Art of the Sale is to give the consumer enough to take the next step.  You need them to call you to make the sale, they aren't going to just email you the funds to close.

If you input 25 or more, you are risking that the consumer will reach their saturation point, and either find a reason not to inquire, or come to the conclusion that they know enough for now. Too much exposure kills their curiosity, which is required for them to take the next step.

I know that we have been brain-washed for years that more photos are better, and if we were here just to expose everything detail about the house, it would be right.

But we're not here to expose - we are here to sell the house.

To sell the house, you need consumers to call you.  It's more likely they will, if you leave them hungry for more.

How many times do you look at a new listing on the MLS and decide you've seen enough and don't need to visit?  Happens all the time, yet you know what they say about assuming.

As a consumer, it depends on the property.   I'd put it in the range of 12 to 30 (with 30 being only for very big exceptional properties).   The photos should get the consumer to think "I want to see more" rather than "boring"!

I don't need to see 12 views of the kitchen, 20 views of the outside, etc.   The photos are not of the "stuff", but of the house.      The most I saw on Zillow was > 100 with such a wide angle lens that many straight lines curved dramatically.   That was clearly over kill and very poor use of wide angle.

What do you think?

I typically hire a professional photographer and she sends me her best shots. From there I pick the best of those so there's not a lot of redundancy, but still gives the best first impression to a prospective buyer. So I don't have a specific number, although it is typically will be 20-30.  It really bothers me that an agent will post a handful of bad photos, as that does his/her client a total disservice. 

Display the full amount allowed on each site, but more important is the quality of the photographs.

Pictures are very important.  I believe 25-30 is good.  I also strongly believe in using a professional photographer.  It makes a difference even with lower end listings. 

I think 25 to 30 photos is ideal. On a smaller property or condo, it may be difficult to come up with that many quality photos, but for condos you can also include photos of the common areas and it's sometimes helpful to include photos of things like the park across the street, the neighborhood school, the coffeehouse you can walk to down the block, etc.

That is a really good question and I think it can vary depending on the size and features of the home.  The MLS we subscribe to allows up to 35 pictures per listing.  For a larger home offering unique features why not maximize the exposure?  In my experience, a buyer of a larger, higher priced home is also very busy and more information helps them be efficient with their time.  If it is a smaller home I still try to use at least a dozen shots to capture the feeling of the property.  When working as a Buyers Agent I have repeatedly heard buyers express more frustration too with poor quality pictures.  I think it is our duty as the ambassador for the home to capture the best features in a professional manor to help our clients sell.  Hope that helps! 

Most houses can be demonstrated in 8-15 high-quality photos, set in the same order as walking through the house.  The 8-15 photos in the right order should make enough of an impression to get the buyer to contact the agent for a tour, which is the ultimate goal. Loading up extra photos of the neighborhood or stupid stuff is risking that the buyer might get bored and clicks on to the next listing.  Quality, not quantity!  And please include youtube video tours!

I was told that the more pictures you put up the more exposure you get. They say 25 is a good number and buyers get frustrated with us when there are only out side pictures. So take lots of pictures!