How much does a Home Inspection cost?

You would think that this is an easy question to answer, but for the home buyer, it is not.  Most  home inspectors do not post there prices and are reluctant to give a price until speaking with the home buyer and determining the location, size and age of the home.  I know home inspectors that charge $1,500 dollars for larger homes and one inspector here on the North Shore of Chicago who charges a flat rate of $250 regardless of whether it is condominium or a lakefront mansion.  I try to keep my pricing in the middle of the pack, making it reasonable and reflective of the degree of difficulty.  For instance a condominium is generally a relatively easy inspection and I charge $300 for it and my prices increase as a I move through townhouses, bungalows, 2-story homes all the way to a 6 bedroom, 100 year old Winnetka home for which I charge upwards of $750. 
  • November 30 2011 - Chicago
  • 1

Profile picture for Matt Laricy
I seem to find them to range from 250 for smaller places and 500 max for the larger ones with the inspectors I use. If you need a referral, I would be happy to provide some.

Profile picture for CallNina
In the greater Seattle area most inspections are in the range of $375-$450 for a residentail home. The fees usually vary based on the size and age of the home. ie. an older home or a large home may cost more.Be sure that your inspector is licensed and prefferably also has a state pest inspection license. It is also a good sign when the inspector belongs to at least 1 of the professional inspector organizations. Ask for at least a couple of referrals and check them out too!
Don't skimp on the inspection. It is the best money you will spend.

Profile picture for Matt Hiatt
Here is Arizona, most inspectors charge around $250-$350 for a 2000 sq, ft home. I prefer my clients use certified inspectors, usually certified by ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) or NAHI. This is just another level to be sure that your inspector is qualified. A lot of roofers, ect, jumped into the home inspection busiess when the housing market dropped, so you do want to shop their credentials and not just price. You may save $100 only to cost you thousands down the road.

Around Delaware and the Mid-Atlantic states, most general home inspections will cost $300-$500.  Inspectors will add on fee for additional services.  For example: a radon inspection will add about $100,  a wood destroying insection inspection will add about $75 and so on for various additional inspections.  As stated above, be sure your inspector is a member in good standing of a nationally certified professional organization.

Profile picture for Evelyn S. Fred
They vary from $200 - $500, really does depend on the property type.

For instance one of my inspectors did a 2/flat for $500 whilst another did a SF, 4/bedrooms for $525.

I can provide you with referrals?

I like how no one who's replied so far even read the post, just the title.

Profile picture for Matt Laricy
Bradley I read the long article about what he charges. I simply just wanted to state that there are other options available as well.

In Michigan home inspections run from $200.00 - $550.00. 

I have been doing Home inspections for over 10 years in the Phoenix area. Most inspectors here base the price on the square footage and the age. We have guys that will work for 10 cents a foot, so an 800 sq ft condo is $80.

Most of the inspectors start about $200 but just like everything if you want someone with more training and experience you need to pay a little more.

I inspected a 10,000 square foot house last year, it was a $1,500 inspection That included the pool (with 7 different pumps) & the guest house.

Every area is a little different and has its own issues. I would want to ride with a Chicago inspector for a month or two before I even thought about doing inspections there as their buildings are so much different than ours.

Matt, what Bradley was pointing out is that the Poster (Mark) doesn't NEED a referral......since he's an inspector himself!!!!!......this was a promo for his services..........

Bradley - it's not unusual for those who respond to questions on these kind of sites to never bother reading what has already been said (thus, there are numerous repetitions of what has been said, on many forums)......or notice  who is asking the question, or what it says next to their name (ie: Pro, Agent, Lender, etc)........it is what it is!

Profile picture for DannySteinman
I need a referral for a reasonably priced inspector for putnam county ny

Profile picture for FavoriteAgent
Its going to be different depending on the area. Then home size and age.
Range is $150-500

Experience > Cheap Price

Depends on the location of the property, as well as size.  The average two bedroom condo in Chicago will probably cost you $350 to inspect, but that could range from $250 - $475.  Make sure your inspector is licensed.  The best inspectors generally come from referrals.

Size, age, location, type of foundation, configuration and area economics all factor into the inspectors pricing structure. When gas was near $5 per gallon in California or with our recent increase's in income taxes, sales taxes, energy taxes, insurance costs, health insurance costs, etc.. inspection fees will no doubt be different than in lower business cost states... 

Profile picture for zuser20140621104219948
I appreciated everyone's input because it all helps me I googled how much does an home inspection cost? and this page is what came up. therefore my question was answered by everyone and I appreciate everyone's responses. Yours too Matt!

Depends on the inspector. Should range around $250-$500 depending on the type and size of property. Let me know if you'd like a referral for a great inspector.

Profile picture for jasonski912
Anyone recommend one for Coopersville. My quote was very high?

It depends on the size of the property. Having helped several buyers in the past, I have a general formula of what I can expect. Condos and townhomes, that aren't hard to get to, shouldn't cost anymore than $450, with less than 3 bedrooms. And larger home with two stories and a  full, finished, basement, depending on age and location, shouldn't put you back more than $700 or $800.