Profile picture for andras_s

How much does a nearby Halfway House with Child Rapists and Pedophiles in it destroy property value?

We've had a halfway house for registered felons open up in our neighborhood.  It routinely houses up to 5 convicted people who attacked children in ways the spam filter won't let me mention except for pedophiles. There will be an unending stream of new residents straight from prison as old residents transition out.

What kind of effect on sale prices does this have if it is known by the buyer?

Up to what distance from the halfway house?

Is this something that a real estate professional or the seller is required to disclose?

"troubled neighbors"
  • September 09 2011 - Fayetteville
  • 0

Here is a link to North Carolina's Fair Housing laws.
http://www.doa.nc.gov/hrc/documents/FairHousingAct.pdf

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I know where a number of those are in my city... and of course Megan's Law allows anyone to look up such information.

But, in terms of listing prices, machine opinions of approximate value, CMA's, and Appraisals, I have not seen any real impact on "values".

Still, I have not tried to do a statistical study on the issue, and with it so easy to look up, it will have an affect on how many offers come in, thus even if not affecting list price, it would appear to affect "sold" prices.  And for that, how do you determine if it was the illegal drug sales 5 blocks away that affect the neighborhood values, or the halfway house?

Certainly the halfway houses get more press coverage, especially if the children have to walk past it to get to school.  What is worse is some of the public schools in this area have accepted volunteers that are on the registered sеx offender's list.

Profile picture for shasta_steve
I would be very worried.  I do not know about North Carolina law but I know California law would require you to disclose it, although I am not sure for what distance.   I know some people who sold a house just south of San Francisco and did not disclose there was a rehab center  in the neighborhood.  They got sued and had to pay out well over 100k. As far a house value I would say it would be pretty bad.