How much does it cost to build a 2000 square foot cape style house?

We have the lot in Methuen MA and are looking to build a cape style home. Master bedroom on first floor with bathroom and 2 bedrooms upstairs. We also would like a finished basement. Anyone know a range we can expect. We also want wood floors, fireplace, chefs kitchen with granite counters.
  • August 19 2014 - Methuen
  • 0

When I was in your shoes, I used this tool to get in the ballpark. The best estimate of cost came from my architect, but this is one of those "first you hire them" scenarios.

When we went to bid the blueprints, the bids were all over the place. When I challenged one GC over his concrete, he dropped it $50K... on the spot and without blinking. That's when I really appreciated having a street-smart architect in my corner.

All depends WHERE my friend.  Go talk to a couple local builders.

$250-350/ft in So Cal

Profile picture for JoeClancyJr
I believe $125-$150/sq ft would be a good ballpark range

If you want a "solid estimate", you'll need contractor quotes against a set of blueprints. When I went through the custom build process, the quotes were all over the place, but my architect had a decent handle on what the costs "should be".

If you want to just ball-park an idea, you can try this website. I used it to get an idea before I got too deep into the process. However, the best info I got was from my construction loan lender with the bank and my architect. But, both of these sources assume some level of investment/commitment has already been made towards construction.

I specialize  new construction and renovation.  There are few ways to get your price to build. Contact a design builder that will build onsite "stick build". You could also look at modular home construction.  Each price will depend on finishes and quality of building materials.  Please  contact me via my profile if you want to discuss further.  You can't get a price on this site.  You need to talk to a local professional.

Best of luck

Eric