Profile picture for Brenda Stone

How much is a garage worth to you?

I just listed 329 1/2 N. Henry and told the seller that her back yard and garage would sell her home.  Most buyers are going to find the home's features incidental to the other two features.

Many people who move here from out of town are bewildered and stunned when they learn that $1,000,000 houses in Old Town, Alexandria don't come with garages.  The three photos are of homes sold in the first quarter of 2013 that sold for over $1 Million that did not have garages.

How much is a garage worth to you?  What would you pay?  Is an assigned outdoor space an acceptable compromise? What about street parking with a permit that exempts you from the 2 hour time limit?
  • April 17 2013 - Old Town
  • 0

Profile picture for blue screen exile
    "How much is a garage worth to you? "-
    About $10k to $15k; more if it is 3+ car plus workshop and tool storage.

"What would you pay?"-
    More than I'd pay the agents.

"Is an assigned outdoor space an acceptable compromise?"-
    Absolutely NOT!  That provides absolutely no protection of the car from the weather elements and bird droppings and other things.  And it raises the insurance premiums more than just building the garage needed.

"What about street parking with a permit that exempts you from the 2 hour time limit?" -
    If I don't want outdoor parking on private property, why would I want it on public property where the car can get sideswiped and other damage?  And where it leaves no space for visitors to park?

Even if I only used bicycle and public transportation, I still wouldn't want to skip the garage.  Where would I park the bicycle?  Where do I have the "extended storage"?  The only way I see having "no garage" is if I was in "assisted living", or if my entire living expenses for a typical month including taxes and mortgage payments and utilities and maintenance and food... was less than $100 per month.

As they say, this website is not well suited to finding places that accommodate one's cars.  A better website for searching would be:
    http://carproperty.com/

I love garages. They are not the norm in my neighborhood or in more urban neighborhoods, but they do command a premium from me.  In city environment, they can lower your insurance cost since the car is not in the open and can also save on maintenance and parking costs.

I would not pass on the perfect city house without a garage, but I would always miss it so I would defintiely favor properties with a garage if I could find one.