Profile picture for KristineCheng

How much is maintenance and upkeep for owning land that you later want to sell?

I plan on buying land in California for 10K for either a 5, 10, or 15 yr investment. I understand there will be taxes and maintenance fees, but how much will it cost me for the year for all those, and what other expenses should I look into? I am serious about buying land, but don't know how to really go about it. Any specific information will help. 
  • July 19 2013 - Los Angeles
  • 0

Brush/weed clearing, securing the parcel and property taxes are all expenses to consider.  It really depends where the land is located and what requirements the local jurisdictions have as well.  Depending on where it is you can sometimes have problems with squatters or people dumping trash on your land, which you then become responsible to pay for/clean up.  Other important considerations are ability to develop the land and things such as access to the land, utilities and services, is it landlocked, and things like that.  

There is quite a bit of maintenance and upkeep for raw land and you....as the owner... will be responsible for keeping it secure and debris free. In some areas this is more difficult then others. For instance, if you owned land in the desert you would not have as much of an issue, compared to brush filled foothills.

Profile picture for JamieTian
Hi Kristine,

I can help you purchase land in Los Angeles. I recently sold two land properties in the Pacific Palisades and Malibu.

It really depends on the area you are buying, but you have to pay property taxes, and depending on the area, you may have to do weed abatement/brush clearance.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Best,

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty

What type of land would it be?   Where would it be?