How much should a 400-480 sq ft addition cost in Baltimore County, Maryland?

I'm looking to add a master bedroom suite (bedroom, closet, bathroom) over an existing 1st floor structure that meets the requirements to have a 2nd floor on top.  Total area would be 400-480 sq ft, depending on how far across we come.

Nothing terribly tricky with roof lines or other complexities.  Just looking for an idea of what a middle of the road quality addition should cost on a $/sq ft estimate.
  • February 21 2012 - Baltimore
  • 0

Profile picture for Ricki Rutley
I would give Alan a call to get his input and/or get a quote from him. He does beautiful quality work and you will learn a lot from him. I told him you might be calling. He could probably give you a 'guestimate' over the phone.

Thanks to you both for quick replies.  We have met with some contractors and are waiting to hear back on estimates.  I'll keep Alan in mind.

I don't have a great sense of what would be reasonable.  I have heard people say $60-200/sq ft -- but not sure.  I probably wouldn't want it to be more than $200/sq ft - otherwise, it might be worth it to scrap the addition idea and just move.

Any other thoughts?

Profile picture for Ricki Rutley
Hi....I work with a builder in Baltimore County who would be happy to answer your questions. His name is Alan Klatsky. aklatsky@aol.com
or call him at 410.356.4700. Please let him know that I referred you.

Sounds like a great project - have fun with your renovation!

Thanks and if you need any additional help, please get in touch with me:
ms.ricki.rutley@gmail.com.

Ricki

That's a tricky one, because it depends on how much plumbing they are going to have to add, and how far it will run from the main plumbing from the house (and the condition of the current pipes and ability to add onto them...)
Have you had contractors come out to give you estimates?
That is going to be your best bet.
Sincerely,
Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty