Profile picture for JEE2
  • JEE2

How much should a real estate attorney cost?

I'm in the Boston, MA western suburbs, am selling a single family house andbuying a condo unit. How much should I expect a real estate attorney to cost for handling the purchase and sale process. I have a buuers broker, so offer negotiation is not needed. Thanks!
  • September 17 2010 - Natick
  • 9

[promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]
  • March 31

Profile picture for tax321
  • March 28

@jeremy jeremy:

You've attached your concerns to a very old thread.   If you click on the blue button "post question" on the right side of this webpage you can start a new thread.

If you are in a rent to own situation, you will need to pull out your contract with the owner.    $550/month for the total you are describing suggests that you were planning on 100% of the payment going to purchase with no interest and no rent to the owner.     That would be extremely unusual rent to own, usually only the amount that is above fair  market rent goes to the purchase.  

I been living here's 8 years at 550 per month renting to own. we are one full year ahead in payments already. well last week I went to pay it all off $14,000. making it $69,000 and to get the title in my name.  I was told that they will get the pepper work and will be over first thing Monday morning.  They came over Monday night to have me sign a contract for $55,000 at 10%.  I am a deeply religious person, very calm easy going.  I have been with my wife since 1989.  We have 4 wonderful children all truelly good hearts. Oldest is 12.  The say I have to sign this papers and start all over. I'm now 40 years old. I busted my butt to make every payment. Please is there advise from lawyers for us. We would be very thankful.

The most important thing to do is make sure you are working with an experienced attorney who comes recommended from a trusted source and regularly closes deals in Massachusetts.  Per the earlier posts you should get a flat fee as these are typically transactions that are similar time and again.  Good luck!

Profile picture for ABR CRS CNE
If I hired a Buyer's Broker to represent me, I would think that he/she would be able to refer you to an attorney who would give you a package deal for representing you on the purchase and on the sale of each property.  Plus, if the purchase attorney also represents the lender you are using for your mortgage there should be a little extra discount coming your way for their attorney fees on the purchase side. 
Finally, generally speaking, attorney fees tend to get lower the further you get away from Boston but only to a point (.i.e., along the route 495 corridor it is not uncommon for one to get quotes of $400 to $500 for Buyer purchases when the attorney is also representing the lender you are using in your purchase).  Good Luck

My office charges $599.99 flat fee which includes purchase and sale review, lender work and title examination.

If you want to know all the work a real estate closing attorney does on a deal, please read my award winning blog: http://www.massrealestatelawblog.com/what-does-a-massachusetts-real-estate-closing-attorney-do-exactly-role-of-massachusetts-closing-attorney/

One attorney used for a note & trust deed cost $200.00 per hour. Time quoted was usually 1 to 2 hours. Keep in mind this hourly charge can apply to any contact you have such as an email, or phone call. Their assistant may also charge. If you are concerned about cost, always a good idea to ask upfront so as to not have unpleasant surprises when you receive the bill. One question I have, are they charging you for talking about things other than your business?  On one recent visit, the attorney wanted to talk about his possible investments with his realtor, also where my client used to live? At that point I concluded our meeting.

There are many factors that contribute to how much an attorney will cost, including the area you are in, as well as the services you require. Here, in CT the average attorney fees are around $600 to $750. I always advise my clients to get their attorney lined up and involved in the transaction as soon as possible, since often times they will review documents ans provide advice and guidance along the way at no additional charge.

If you would like full representation, then my experience is about $600 and up. If you are a seller and wish to simply have the deed prepared, then the costs (in my experience) seems to be $100-$150.

In California, we use Realtors/Brokers. The only time we would need an attorney is if we professionally need to circumvent/mitigate a legal skirmish, such as fraud -- and that's in California; a reputably, litigious state.

I tell my clients to call 5 lawyers and ask them what they charge. Some are negotible and some are not. You get what you pay for, but hundreds of dollars in difference could be going towards moving costs.

I think it depends upon how complicated your transaction is and how much hand holding you need...and you want them for two transactions...

I think that $600 - $1000 for both is reasonable.

Erika in Orlando

In the Boston area for a standard P&S review and addendum normally the cost is around $500 to $600.  Many attorney's if they are getting the closing work for the bank will do your buy side P&S review included in the fee charged to you at closing; so no extra charge.  For the Sale the above amount is customary. If there are protracted negotiations and a lot of hours burned expect to billed for their time. Best of luck.

Best,

Eric