Profile picture for daisygirlstwins

How much should a realtor advertise? Are Zillow and MLS enough? Other websites? Real Estate guides?

A realtor has my house listed for sale. We haven't had an open house or shown the house since April. We had 2 open houses in April and he finally got my house listed on Zillow TWO HOURS before the first open house. He says that advertising it on MLS.com and a sign in the front yard are enough, but I think it needs to be on Yahoo real estate, Bing real estate, other websites and definitely in the printed real estate guides you pick up at the store. (It took two-three weeks after I signed the listing agreement for him to get flyers for my house and put them in the info tube. Then when the flyers ran out, I just made my own with much more info and better pics.) When I was in the market for a house, I did a lot of research and looking before I contacted a realtor so I think my house needs to be advertised where individuals are looking who may not yet have a realtor. What are your thoughts? Thank you

• July 09 2010 - Bethany

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
there are so many good answers already, but wanted to just say not to underestimate the power of the MLS.  All the extra advertising helps your realtor reach out to buyer that will call your Realtor, the MLS listing reaches out to all the other Realtors that have buyers. I've had one sell in 4 days before I had any ads other that what's automatic feeds from the MLS, and have had some sit longer in spite of extremely aggressive advertising.  You have to look at the whole picture and adjust.  A house not getting calls and not selling aren't the same thing.  advertising gets calls but calls only become sales if the information is conveyed effectively to create in geniune interest in viewing the property and a positive viewing experience and so on.   The question is - were they getting a lot of calls but no lookers...then advertising isn't the problem.  My experience is that Broker's opens are far more effective than open houses.  Open houses help the Realtor find buyers that might want your house or some other house, Broker's opens show all the realtors what your house looks like so they can talk it up with their buyers.

Print adds are Bologna, havent sold one house in six years with print. I do advertise open house in the paper though. The web is the way to go. 90% of buyers are looking on the web first. I've had three buyer leads cal this week. The MLS is most important because buyers who have agents will get those listings first. For those buyers who have not found an agent then the web is where they are looking. Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia, and Yahoo are probrably the biggest. Your home maybe getting looks on the web too, see if your agent can get you a report on the # of hits it is getting. Market conditions maybe overriding marketing efforts. Hope that was helpful. Eric Billstrom

There is lots of great information to consider. Pricing is always your most competitive edge of course. You do not want to price too high or it will sit on the market and have market burn up which in our MLS shows how many days your home has been on the market. If it has been on the market a really long time, then the buyer may think there is an underlying problem and may shy from the property. If you price it too low then of course, you lose money. A professional should sit down with a comparable analysis to see what properties have sold in your market within the last six -seven months to show what a buyer is willing to pay for a home like yours. We do not or I should say,,should not price the home based on what your neighbors sold their house for. What if their home had more bedrooms, square footage, updates, ect? These are very important to consider. I hope this information helps. Good luck with the sale of your home.

I always get good answers from helpful folks on Zillow. I sure hope you come back to celebrate when you sell your house!

Profile picture for daisygirlstwins
Thank you all so much for the very helpful answers! I emailed my realtor a lot of questions that I didn't know before to ask.

There is a lot of various arguments to be made for having flyers in a holder in front of the house.  One argument against it is that you want the prospective buyer to come into your house and see if for themselves.

There are many tools available to agents to syndicate a listing across the internet to hundreds of property web sites.  After that it becomes a cost issue of featuring the listing on the large web sites like Realtor.com, Zillow, Yahoo Real Estate, Trulia etc. etc. 

Also creating a unique web site for the property with its own URL and using social networking tools to push the property out to the market: Twitter, Facebook, Activerain, etc.

Other tools are available that allow your property to show up with pictures on iphones, ipads and smart phones.

Lastly there are applications that allow for your property to be text messaged to a phone with description and pictures for those that might drive by the home (sign rider) or inexpensive classified ads.

All this exposure will cost your agent time and money and should be a part of a comprehensive marketing plan.

All marketing is intended to get interested buyers into your property to see if it is a fit.  It will be up to you and your agent to ensure the home is presented in an uncluttered fashion (staged) so that the new buyer can imagine themselves living in it.  Try to make the home as easy to show as possible so that you don't lose out on perspective buyers that have busy schedules.

Lastly if it priced properly for your market it will sell.  All the best marketing in the world will not produce a buyer that will pay above the market.  This is where your agent should be keeping you very informed about all the direct competition in your area. 

Go out to homes that are in the same price range as your property and see them for yourself.  Be as hard on your home as you were when purchasing it. Try to put yourself in the buyers shoes when viewing the competition and ask yourself which house you would pick and what would you pay.  Good luck on a successful sale.

my listings are fed into 200 web sites that I'm not sure have any bearing on anything.

It is not advisable to print flyers and have them available in front of the house...way too much information...you are not enabling buyers to make contact.  Yes, it may prompt a call for another home that is not that agents listing but it may fit into their budget more...that's what a listing is about.

I'm in Florida and my listings in MLS get automatically fed into a variety of websites so I don't have to go into each individually and do it manually. Also, my brokerage firm advertises it on Zillow and a few times in the local paper. MLS also feeds straight into Realtor.com which is a mainstream site for those interested in buying a home. Realtor.com's website is also sponsored by NAR, who sponsors MLS.

In truth, MLS is the main source for Realtors and Realtor.com is the main source for Buyers so that plus a yard sign, do get quite a bit of exposure.

Open Houses really don't do much to sell your home and they are usually a Realtor's method of obtaining leads for other properties.

Remember that the market is slow and as your listing agent, his main job is to make the home as attractive as possible so agents with Buyers are interested in showing it. 

We don't have a magic wand that produces Buyers unfortunately. If your  home has been on the market for over 30 days, you may wish to consider a price reduction. This will re-fresh it in MLS as a listing and get Buyer attention once again.

Daisygirlstwins: Lots of great advice about advertising from our community, but I wanted to give you another heads up: Zillow has partnered with Yahoo! Real Estate. So just keep your listings up-to-date on Zillow; you'll be on both Zillow and Yahoo! soon.

Unless your home sells very soon... which I hope happens!

What did your agent say he was going to do when you interviewed him for this critical (to you) employment?   Is he following through on the marketing campaign?

If you've not had any prospective buyers since April, something is seriously wrong.  Either your house is overpriced (most likely) or the advertising isn't sufficient to catch the potential market.

When you discuss the lack of prospective buyers with your agent, what does he say?

Profile picture for ABBAUSA

Online marketing to me is more than 90% of the game today.
A nice yard sign is a basic thing, but all online marketing after that.

Good Virtual Tour, Lots of High Quality Photos, and all details and disclosures online on the MLS.

Zillow is a great place to market a home.

You might suggest to your Realtor®   www.Postlets.com

James Callas - Realtor®

Hi Bethany,

David covered the advertising aspect very well.  I syndicate my listings through our local MLS which allows the listing to be picked up by all members.  The online exposure is very valuable and I am sure your agent is doing the same.   Try searching your address on Google or Yahoo and see what comes up. 

Also, I tell my clients the best way to sell your home is to list it on the MLS at the correct price for your location.  Also, clear the clutter and make sure it shows nice for prospective buyers.  If it is priced right and looks great it should sell. 

Scott Applegate, MBA
Broker - REALTOR
Carlsbad, CA 92011
[link removed by moderator]

Bethany,

At least 90% of buyers start their home search online. Knowing that, I do all I can to market a home primarily on the web, using video tours, YouTube, Craigslist, Google, Yahoo, ERA.com, Realtor.com and at least 60 other real estate-related web sites. Much of a homes' marketing is done through syndication. (That's when a property is linked to on multiple web sites and portals by entering the home information once. The syndication tool does the rest.)

In fairness to your agent, when a home is placed on the MLS, it is automatically shown on Realtor.com and most probable that agent's company sites, who may also use syndication.

In my case, I create a separate page on my site for each property, that includes information about the home or land, map links to Google and BIng, a PDF file that can be downloaded, a custom video tour of the property, and more. It's a lot more work, but it helps get the word out about a client's property in the fastest manner.

Hope that helps answer your question.