How much time do you spend on social networking vs. working?

I have to work real estate at least 12 hours per day which leaves 1 a.m. and later to review posts, ask and answer questions and write blog entries on my 3 favorite social media for real estate websites. It leaves little to no time to read and learn 'etiquette rules, go to 'camps', learn more about SEO, attend local social media 'friend' groups.  I am working for clients and with customers in real estate.

How much time do you spend on social networking vs. working per week?  and HOW do you manage  getting it all done?
  • September 04 2010 - Palm Beach
  • 0

Profile picture for DrewMeyers
I think you'd be surprised how much you could accomplish social media wise simply with the use of a smart phone (iphone, blackberry, droid, etc). You should be able to get thousands of pieces of content up per year in less than 20 minutes a day. Social media activity does not have to consist of extremely long blog posts. 

Profile picture for DavidPlush
Smart phone all the way!!! There is no way you can do social media in the middle of the night. Also delegate what you can. Who says you have to do it all?

Drew,thanks for your response.
Please explain in detail how I could accomplish posting thousands of pieces of content as you say, with a smart phone vs. writing it on my tulia blow or questions and then copying it to other social media sites,

And exactly how would an  iphone, blackberry, droid, differ from one another?

Marsha Montoya Mayer

Profile picture for soldwithtom
I agree with the smart phone plug!

Please show me how you use Smart Phone plug?

As a consumer who is frustrated with quantity-over-quality posts, please don't confuse "social presence" with "social networking" - in much the same manner that many today confuse "infamous" with "famous".

Most of the posts that I see from people focused on numbers look just like that, and do little to recommend them to me as a source for real help. When looking for real answers, they actually annoy me - and have the opposite effect than I'm sure was intended.

There are ways of working hard and working smart, Find the right fix for yourself and what you find important.Sit down plan a schedule for that hour, day, week. First of all is it necessary to work those 12 hours a day in Real Estate? If you found time to post this message you have time to work out times to accomplish everything that is needed. Smart phone is only a small solution. Best to you

Thanks all for your opinions.  I accomplish ALOT but it takes many hours every day.
I would appreciate some info on HOW smart phones can be used for detailed Blog posts faster and more efficiaently than from the computer?

Marsha M.

I use Tweet Deck.  You can upload all your Social Media accounts and post your response at one time by hitting all your accounts.  Time management is a bear, plan just as you would you day....I hit my deck in the morning as well as a quick blog.  Somedays I don't have time to chat or post, however just as I read above a smart phone is the way to go to get your word out quick if you on the go!  Good luck!

Somehow, I feel like a sheet of paper trying to "play speedbump" on the interstate.

If, as a time/effort efficiency measure, you all are posting the same content to all sites at the same time, aren't you just relegated to posting generic information vice addressing specific consumer questions?

What has, in the past, been an integral part of Zillow's profile is that it provided the forums as a place where consumers could ask specific questions - and get specific answers. Also, answers were required to be posted on the forum, in the clear for all to read, and it was not allowed to require the consumer to contact the agent/lender/etc. for "the rest of the answer".

The genericized blast-and-forget approach really threatens to turn Zillow into "just another marketing channel", and Zillow's forums will devolve into "just another RE site" - and ruin it's value for both the consumer and pros.

At least think about it before you make a decision to just blast your electronic flyers across the 'net.

Thank you Rene.
I am looking into Tweet Deck. Do you use it for twitter?  Or for a smart phone?

Marsha, I use it to update both my facebook page and twitter...blogging is seperate for me.  SoCal's post is misleading as to my post's answer.  With all the social media sites out there instead of visiting all the seperate site to post USEFUL information and to expand our advertisment as we promise to our customers & clients, I use tweet deck.  All these sites have made it socially permittable to do so by offering the links and memberships. Zillow is a marketing channel just as is any other site out there, they have offered that to us for that exact use. Good Luck.

Rene,
Thank you for clarifying that. I try my best to make my postings, 'useful' and professional thereby supporting and increasing my reputation  as expert and reliable.

We love social networking The key is not to get lost in Social Networking. Time does fly. Keep your updates relevant and really care for your contacts. We do and it is working out wonderful for us in our business and in our Life.

"SoCal's post is misleading as to my post's answer.  With all the social media sites out there instead of visiting all the seperate site to post USEFUL information and to expand our advertisment as we promise to our customers & clients, I use tweet deck."

How is my post "misleading"? I never said Zillow didn't enable what you do. What I said was that what distinguished Zillow's forums from other RE sites is that the questions/responses were very directed. With general blasts, no matter how "useful" you believe the information to be, it cannot be directed to a specific consumer's situation.

What's misleading about that?

It seems to me that there is a huge difference between agents who use sites such as Trulia or Zillow as marketing tools, simply as a way to benefit themselves, as opposed to agents who use sites like this primarily to advocate for consumers, with the business benefit being secondary.

Which type of agent are each of you?

Here's the connundrum with the situation...

Those who participate for the benefit of the consumer, and do so effectively, end up potentially making a name/reputation for their effort and possibly benefiting their business efforts.

Those who participate strictly for their own personal benefit, typically don't realize the desired benefit...and screw it up for those in the prior category.

Profile picture for broker_GRI

Drew, said 20mins a day to "get" 1000's of pieces of content.

A smart phone is good because you are not tied to a computer.

SoCal_E gave an excellent point of view, from a consumer standpoint and as a prolific internet poster.

Nothing "misleading" to dispute more like an opinion with which you may either agree or not.

Social media may not be for everyone...

Do what you enjoy and success follows

I often intertwine my social networking with my work hours. You never know who you will be in contact with that may need your services. As a Real Estate sales professional a great deal of my business has come from this approach.

I started on Trulia as a relatively new agent purely for educational purposes.  As I developed knowledge/confidence and disgust with how I sometimes saw consumers treated and agents less than desirable representation of this profession, I started participating.

I haven't received one bit of financial benefit due to this.  A few follow up emails regarding a specific question and a few scam attempts.

I keep going back to these sites because I have found it rewarding to speak up for the consumer, because I have learned a lot and because I have found a community of a few people on each site that I think are worth "hanging" with.

Regardless of whether or not there is fnancial gain, there is personal gain.  That is my primary reason for being here.

Profile picture for DrewMeyers
Sorry for disappearing from the conversation for awhile. 

Marsha-

I'm not unbiased on this topic -- I work for YouReach Media, and we have a 6 month program that focuses on an effective and efficient strategy to social media. Posterous is part of that strategy -- it's a blogging/syndication platform that allows you to post content in one place, and have it automatically syndicated to all (or some) of your social network profiles. And to your question about how a smart phone is more efficient than a computer - the answer is it's not. But real estate is done in the field; a smart phone enables you to participate and create social media content from wherever you are as part of your day to day tasks. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have on this topic - you can email me from my profile if you wish.

SoCal -

I totally agree with you. The people who really understand and succeed with social media are the ones who are participating because they genuinely want to help others, and not because they are trying to make money for themselves. It just so happens that doing what they love helps lead to new business :)

Drew, Thank you for your concise reply and for your offer.  Although a bit esoteric for my level of knowledge of social media communication (advertising?)

SoCal- I hesitate to use the word "advertising" because it seems you think Social Media is for the dissemination of information without any thought of or desire for personal gain?! 

How do you buy food?  I have a profession.  I have skills, knowledge, and expertise and am continuously striving to grow and develop further.  I share my knowledge, information and passions through my social media/ real estate sites... any many others do. .. What's wrong with that? 

Regarding sites like Zillow and Trulia specifically, onsumers presumably come to these sites for information, not to be sold anything (that they aren't already interested in), told to Buy Now, told the same thing many agents have already said over and over,told blah, blah, blah, same old stuff so many agents say, as if by rote. And then...feel free to contact me...

There are plenty of agents who have a great deal of expertise/knowledge to share.  If agents show their concern for the consumer as being their number 1 priority, not selling them their services, or their listings(in the Q & A section), not talking down to them, not acting as low level salespeople but as true professionals in their field, then the consumer receives a true benefit and the agent may end up with a new client/customer. 

That's the way I see it.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Marsha,

I think you missed a major component of Drew's last post, in reference to Socal's post.

"I totally agree with you. The people who really understand and             succeed with social media are the ones who are participating                 because they genuinely want to help others, and not because they         are trying to make money for themselves. It just so happens that         doing what they love helps lead to new business :)"

"Those who participate for the benefit of the consumer, and do so         effectively, end up potentially making a name/reputation for their             effort and possibly benefiting their business efforts."

This is the concept of practicing good business instead of good marketing, it allows your reputation to do your marketing for you.  Which allows you to concentrate on your professional services to further enhance your reputation.

The point I hear Socal trying to make in this comment:

"Those who participate strictly for their own personal benefit, typically     don't realize the desired benefit...and screw it up for those in the prior     category."

Socal is stating that when this occurs on a wide scale, non-salespeople stop using the medium, and everyone has to find a new medium to acquire and disseminate information.  In other words if the social media forums reach a tipping point where to much of the information is purely advertisement, the only people who will be reading it are your fellow agents.

I would add that too often salespeople become ineffective at communicating with anyone except other salespeople.  For an individual, it means continuously marketing yourself because your reputation will not drive people to you if you don't keep reminding them.  Eventually you spend so much time on marketing that you have no credibility left, and are stuck with trolling for new customers that don't know better. 

Profile picture for DrewMeyers
"Eventually you spend so much time on marketing that you have no credibility left, and are stuck with trolling for new customers that don't know better."

This definitely happens, and that's why I've always believed that education is the best form of marketing you can possibly do. Educate your potential clients about the situation or landscape and let them make a decision on whether or not your service can help them. If they are looking for something slightly different than what you offer, go help them find another vendor rather than pushing your existing product down their throat.

@ Marsha -

I personally believe that most all actions are driven, to a greater or lesser extent, by a desire for personal gain - and I have no problem with that. The "gain" varies from person-to-person. Some want to generate leads, some enjoy the satisfaction of answering people's questions, some enjoy trolling for flame wars, and some just like seeing their name/words on a website.

What I have spoken to is the concept that social networking that is overly egocentric (irrespective of the motivation) is unlikely to achieve the desired results. Further, taken as a whole, the entirety of the marketing-via-social-networking approach may even be counter-productive, over-saturating the channels and turning off the listeners (cable TV anyone?).

Absolutely nothing. However, if you are blasting the same content to multiple sites - then how focused can it be on specific questions or situations, which has been the traditional focus of Zillow's forums? A Google on "How do I sell my home" returned 310,000,000 hits. "How do I buy a home" returned 368,000,000 hits. That doesn't even address Zillow's Home Buying guides available on this forum.

Seriously, do you really think you are going to provide any added value to "X Steps in Buying a Home?", "How to Pick a Realtor?", etc.? The topics that lend themselves to generalized blogs are already over-saturated. If you want to blog and add value, scope your blog to your market (after all, RE is locale specific, or so I've been told).

As for "blogging on Zillow", why turn Zillow into a carbon-copy of every other RE site's forums? What makes (made?) Zillow stand out was that specific answers are given to specific questions - and the consumers relate to that. They come (came?) here to ask specific questions, not read yet-another-blog on generalized topics that the consumer either already knows, or needs help in applying to their specific situation.

Forgive my word hemorrhage, but I felt you deserved a decent answer. I'm not asking you, nor any other RE pro to not use Zillow's forums as a social networking tool to enhance your business. I'm just asking you to think about how to make the best use of Zillow without turning it into just-another-blog-site. In the long run, I believe this approach will better meet your objectives than scattering your blogs everywhere you can and hoping someone responds.

Just as an FYI...

While I have not used the services of any REA from Zillow's forums, I did refi in 2009 using a lender that I became familiar with through Zillow. That lender did not post information they "thought consumers needed to hear", they simply answered questions...and refuted bad lender info and added value to the general information content.

I'm currently looking to pull the trigger on another refi, and am likely to use a lender from Zillow's forums again. And, again, it's based on my perception of the lender's rep from their participation in Zillow's forums - not blogging.

It's only one data point, but I thought it might be helpful to know that I am a real consumer - not just someone trying to rain on your blog parade.

Cheers

I appreciate your detailed answer and respect your opinions.

Good luck with your refi.

First off, get organized. If you are already posting on a regular basis, start a Google Reader account. Organize your favorite feeds by category. You can also save articles as favorites for later when writing longer form posts. 
If you are just starting out and don't want to pay someone to teach you, subscribe to Mashable and Lifehacker. Mashable is a great resource for the latest in social media. Lifehacker is more broad but a great tech resource . 
Subscribe to pod casts. Some to consider - This Week in Social Media, Today in Social Media and net@night. Net@night is a little more broad but has great insight. You can listen to these while you are on the road or sitting in front of you computer. 
Some books to consider - Engage!, Crush It!*, Power Friending and The Referral Engine*. (* available as an audio book)
Squarespace is a great way to get a blog/website going. It isn't free but very reasonable. You can get a basic sight up quickly. It also allows you to customize and scale up as your traffic and needs increase. Squarespace of also run by some the best people in the social media space. 

Profile picture for Mills Realty

Marsha - the smartphone is helpful, but it sounds to me like you need to become more efficient with your time and that you need to set boundaries with your clients.  I would be that if you became more time sensative you would cut your 12-hour day down to 6.  I know this sounds crazy, but I used to work 12-hours days, too.  I know work 6-8 and get much more accomplished than I ever thought possible. 

Simon Mills
Mills Realty

1. 1
  2. 2