Profile picture for Goldensadie

How much to list a home for?

We're thinking about listing a home we have for sale located at 31 Collette St., Waterville, ME 04901 in the spring.  We had an appraisal done the year we purchased the home, I believe in 2006 or 2007 which came in around $126,000.  Since them we've updated the home with all new windows, changing the old steam radiators to baseboard heat, paving the driveway and many other improvements.  Can you give me a ball park idea what the home is valued at today?
Thank you,
Janet LeClair
  • January 26 2011 - Waterville
  • 0

Best Answer

Hi Janet,
I was doing a search on the MLS and didn't see anything with that address listed as being sold.  Did you do it as a private sale?

The prices have dropped quite a bit since 2006 - without seeing your home or knowing how large it is or how many bedrooms, etc it is hard to say for sure what it would sell for.  To give you an idea of the range of prices in a neighborhood, a house on collette sold for 86,500 this past june, and a house on franklin sold for 127,900 in september - where your house would fall would depend on a variety of factors.

if you would like to discuss this in more detail, send me an email or give me a call.  I am happy to help!
Charlene

Your best market analysis will come from a local agent. Make some appointments for some local realtors to come in and see your home. If you need a referral, I can help you with that as RE/MAX is global and we have agents in every community.  Let me know if I can help you.  Laura

Hi to accurately give you a figure of value I would have to see the home and the nieghborhood. There is a difference between an appraisal and a cma. an appraisal is a much more in depth look at a homes value and can only be done by a licensed appraiser. A cma is a comparative market analysis that is performed by a real estate agent where he finds like homes from your area that have sold over the past 6 months to 1 year and he developes an opinon of value. And that opinion is based on how much a buyer in this market is willing to pay for your home.Unfortunately if it was a cma there was a big difference between 2006 and 2007. things hit the cieling in the beginning of 06 and started devaluating by the end of 06 and by the end of 07 things were tanking. As a ball park the state averaged about a 20%-25% decrease across the board with some of the outlying sectors getting hit a little harder. Waterville maybe as much as 30%. I know this really isn't much help. If you would like further assistance with finding a true value please give me a call.  Thanks for your question  Bob  

Hi Janet, You might need to speak with an agent that is familiar with your neighborhood.  They will be able to give you a list price based on recently sold homes that compare to yours.  There usually is not a charge for this service.  Good Luck and we hope you sell your home quickly.  Tammy & Lucy