Profile picture for cookie58

How much would a composite deck cost 12x24 verus wood

tennessee area

February 08 2009 - Knoxville

Profile picture for BungalowMo
It's not worth what that composite will to to/in a landfill.

Profile picture for Vanessa_R.
I am a representative of Trex and came across this post and wanted to reply to Matt Thompson's post. Trex is a low maintenance product, not a maintenance free product. We recommend that a Trex deck is cleaned twice a year.Trex does offer a 25 year limited residential warranty that warrants against rot, check,splintering, termites and fungal decay. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at question@trex.com or 800-BUY-TREX.
Vanessa R. - Trex

February 27 2009

Composite decking is approx 2 times as much as wood in material. Generally the price of the composite compared to wood for the total package, (depending upon the rail system you choose as there are too many to list) is 1 1/2 to 3 times the price. How ever if you choose say Trex you are worry free. There is no maintenance, rot or worry of insects destroying it. Also there are multiple tricks you can do to the pressure treated structure as well to prolong its life many years as well.

February 19 2009
I haven't worked with the composites yet.  I can tell you I love the look of a freshly stained deck.  And I love the look of an old grey mildewy deck; that's money in the bank for a painter like me!

February 09 2009
We put in a rectangular composite deck with Trex last year at approximately the size you mention, spending about $4,000 on materials. 

February 09 2009
And composite deck is pretty much maintenance free and would require less repair and maintenance in the long run. No messy staining!

February 08 2009
A wood deck that size would cost around $4,000 depending on how complex you want the deck to be. A composite deck will usually cost 2 to 3 times what a wood eck will cost depending on the manufacturer of the composite decking. For example a 12' Trex deck board will cost about $30 depending on wher you get it and you can find other manufactures 12' deck boards for around $20. Of course you get what you pay for but the lower end composite decking is in no way a junk product. Dan - Sunset Home Repair

February 08 2009