Profile picture for SGI59

How often are the stats updated? My neighbor added 500 sf to his hm 2 yrs ago, does not show on Zill

October 18 2009 - Orange

Just went round and round with Zillow, Trulia, other websites about this with one of my current listings.  The square footage data is pulled from the tax records.  However, my client did indeed pull permits and have the 3rd floor unfinished bonus room finished off with a 4th bedroom and 3rd bath in 2013.  She even confirmed with the tax office that they had the now correct square footage and they do.  Apparently, they are pulling tax records from 2011 to get the "Public Information."  I have argued and argued about this.  It is the real estate agent's responsibility to ENSURE the square footage is correct and entered correctly into MLS.  They should be pulling the data for the square footage from the MLS where we "the agents" enter the data.  Because of this inaccurate reporting of square footage by Zillow and Trulia and realtor.com, the Zestimate of my client's house is way under valued!  So it appears the house is listed for a much higher price than it is worth.   But I was told "sorry, we cannot change it because we cannot change what is pulled from the tax records."  WOW!   VERY FRUSTRATING!  Maybe if we all start screaming at the same time!!

April 08
Sounds like the county property taxes have not been ressessed since the addition was completed. Generally real estate property data is drawn from public property tax rolls. The adjustments or edits to the existing property description is not yet updated in the property tax rolls. This can be a positive and a negative... Positive since the reassessment has not resulted in higher property taxes and somewhat negative that the property description is not accurately reflecting the increased square footage.

April 08
TED NAILED IT!

April 08
Agree with Ted 100%

April 05
I totally agree with Ted

April 01
Hi SGI59,

It really depends on whether the addition was permitted or not.  When the contractor pulls the building permit and gets it approved, the contractor can start work on the addition.  Once the job is finished, the contractor must then get the addition inspected for approval and then the square footage should be added to the property.  If the addition is not permitted, possibly due to the owner not wanting to have the property reassessed, it is possible that the square footage will never show up with the additional square footage.  Are you looking for the stats for a particular reason, i.e. to use as a comparable sale, or just curious?

Ted

April 01