How often can a landlord hold an open house while I am a tenant?

The home I am renting ( for 4 years) is being sold by owner.  They are requesting an open house every weekend.  They are giving me 48 hours notice.  This property is in Hawaii.
  • September 06 2013 - Captain Cook
  • 0

Technically, the notice only has to be a minimum of 48 hours, however, the tenant does NOT have to grant it. He/she can say no. All that is required is "reasonable" access in the case of showing requests.

Depending on the price range, I ask that we give tenants $5-$10 per business card collected (we can also read the keybox, so that the tenant doesn't have to search the whole house for a hidden business card), and credit 1/30th of the rent for a Sunday open house.

I prefer not to have open houses on rentals, for a variety of reasons, and I think you have to give a tenant an incentive to cooperate with showings.

Thanks so much.  Good idea.  I have read the landlord/tenant guide and had the same reaction of "abuse" to the request being made.

Here's a link to the Hawaii landlord/tenant guide.  There are no specific limits as long as they give you the notice as required by law (48 h for non-emergency access). 

On page 15 of the link there is a comment "The landlord shall not abuse this right of access.... ".   I personally think an open house every weekend is abusing it, and would ask for compensation.   I don't know your rent, but perhaps a day's rent for every open house (payable on that date) and 1/2 day's rent for every showing outside the open house.  (Get it in writing.)