How often do you update pre-foreclosure status'?

We are currently renting a property while we look for a home to purchase.  While visiting your site to look at foreclosures I saw the property we are in is on the pre-foreclosure listing.  This alarms me as we have had some issues with the landlord.  Just want to know if this information is out of date or should I increase my search for a new home.

October 26 2012 - Bloomington

Open the home details page for the property in question!  They now indicate the date the 90 day late notice was issued/published...

And if already in "foreclosure process" they now indicate the scheduled auction date.

I haven't seen Zillow's source for these public records yet... but I'm guessing it is updated about once a week, or maybe once a month.  I'll post if I see any other schedule provided.

Personally, I don't worry too much about 90 day late notices; most of them get resolved way before they actually schedule an auction; and even many that have an auction scheduled get resolved before the auction occurs.

It probably means that they are at least late enough that the lien holder has filed the beginning documents to foreclose. That is how Zillow and other sites (preforeclosure.com which feeds Zillow) gets the information, county court records and such.

The process can take a LONG time. And as long as you are paying your rent and doing what you are supposed to do, you have a significant amount of protection from just being tossed out in most states.

I think that is going to be the worst thing about this information now being so public, a lot of renters are going to see it and either get up and leave or stop paying rent, thereby creating a bigger issue for the owner. 

Philip does this pre-foreclosure status mean the owner is probably still in default?

The foreclosure process can take a year or so. If people are not coming to look at the building then the owner probably is not doing a short sale. Check with an attorney, but the owner needs to give you notice of a foreclosure.