Profile picture for superzebra

How often should a listing agent follow up with showing agents?

• September 09 2010 - Denton
  • 0

When I market a home, I attempt to follow-up with every agent that tours the home, whether preview or a showing to a client.  The REALTOR feedback is the best check on total property condition/price.

Unfortunately, not all showing agents will provide feedback.  I am successful in connecting with about 75-80% of them.  Sometimes this is through email, and sometimes through direct dialog.

If the agent makes a comment by email that I do not understand, I will seek clarification.

As many noted below, this must be done quickly.  If the showing agent has any volume in his/her business, they will see many houses in just a day.  Wait two or three days, and the quality of the feedback deteriorates greatly, if there is any recall at all.

Finally, I believe in sharing this feedback with my client completely unfiltered.  They are copied on the feedback emails that I receive, and I relay voice conversations very directly.  Then we discuss the meaning/impact of the feedback that was received to determine the best course of action.

Open, honest and frequent communication is critical to the successful sale of real estate.

mchdenton,
Somewhat consistent responses, though one element might be absent - frequency.

I think you know well that contacting an agent after showing is the path most listing agents follow. Yet frequency is a bit different. For example, an agent who previews a property doesn't need a 2nd round follow up; where an agent who walked a client through a property, shared that it made the top 3 list of the buyer deserves attention until the buyer has made a decision (doesn't mean pestering, just persistence).

Also, some agents will re-contact every agent who showed the property when a change is made - price, repair, etc. Others take it a step further and hit every agent serving the neighborhood with updates. 

Good luck, John

I agree with everyone below. with the amount of houses we see in a week or in a day we will forget what our clients thought of a particular property if we are not contacted soon after visiting it.

Profile picture for SVRealEstate
Call back soon, I have had agents call me weeks after I have shown the property to a client.  I can't remember what my client liked or did not like about a house when it was 50 houses ago.  Call them while your house is still fresh in their mind

Profile picture for Mills Realty
I wish the showing service was used in Los Angeles.  It makes feedback much easier.  I only provide feedback when a listing agent calls and requests it.  If you want the info you need to ask for it.

Simon Mills
Mills Realty

Most good agents will provide feedback within 24hrs. If that time passes then i'll followup and ask for feedback. We should all remember the golden rule when it comes to showing feedback. Agents understand that sellers are anxious to know if someone likes their home or what the thoughts are.

The same day is my answer.  I hate it when agents call me 2-3 days after I show the home asking for feedback.  Do you have an idea of how many homes we show every day? 

If the agents use the appointment service most agents use in DFW (CSS) then I provide feedback the same day when I get the email.  Your agent can set it up so you have access to the feedback too.

Naima

Hard one... even as an agent when in training I heard different options.   Every agent handles their business differently. There is no right and wrong here, but individual business practices.  I know of a very high producing agent that sells Million dollar properties that doesn't believing in calling for every showing and will train other agents not to.  This agent gets things sold and very sucessfully, so who would I be to think otherwise.  So.. I think there are two questions for you here.

1.) Have to spoken to your agent about this?
2.) Do you not trust your Realtor do do the best thing for you within their business practices? 

If number 2 is even a question.. maybe you and your agent aren't a good fit.  Two things here..  you expect certain things from your Realtor, but they don't operate the way you want to. However, think of your own work or business.  Do you do it the way every other person does and what's the outcome?   If this is really about trust.. maybe time to first talk.. and then find another Realtor that is a better fit for your expectations.  

Always and immediately after the showing.

It should be every time the home is shown and no more than a couple days after the showing. Not every agent will respond but the listing agent should make the follow up call.

mchdenton,

I think a listing agent should get feedback on every showing if possible.  Whether or not the buyer prospect is going to write an offer it's nice, as someone mentioned, to get the valuable feedback about the issues and challenges that prevented the buyer from making an offer.

What's more important however, is what the seller does with the feedback that's been given.  If the buyer didn't like the floorplan, well, there's nothing a seller can do about that, but if 75% of your showings present the same feedback, price, cleanliness, etc., then the seller needs to be responsive.

In my market it is common to try and get some feedback from the showing agent.  I know there are agents in my area that will just not give it. There attitude is:  If I dont write an offer, the buyer was not interested.  What I am after on  showings is:  I want to find out if the issues a buyer had are things that can be changed OR are they structural which cannot be changed.  The bottom-line is if you do not feel the listing agent that you hired is doing their job, ask them to do so and see what they say.  Best Wishes

Whenever a showing agents shows a property, a listing agent should follow up to get feedback to take back to the seller and determine what buyers are saying about pricing, condition of the property etc.