How to I get the blue prints for my home?

I'm the third buyer of my house and I would like to know how would I go about getting a copy of the blue prints for my house?  Where would I start?
  • August 01 2014 - Cordova
  • 0

Your best chance is to locate the original builder.  Since your home is in Cordova, the plan was most likely a standard plan used many times in the general area.  You can check with Shelby County code enforcement when the permit was issue to build the home.  They may not have a plan for the house but they will have the name and contact information for the builder.   

Depending on the age of your home, your City or County building department should have the actual building plans filed at time of permitting and construction (by address or subdivision).  From these you should be able to determine builder/architect from the contact information on the plans.  Also if you area in a subdivision and can locate a neighbor that was an original purchaser in the area, they may have a set of plans for their home and perhaps the same builder was used.  You did not mention if your home is in an urban or rural location, so if rural, may be a bit more of a hunt!  Hope that gives you a start!
Best,
Jim