Profile picture for omahascuba

How to cancel dispute I opened via equifqx

I was preapproved for a mortgage. During this it said I had a judgement from years ago on my equifax. I called today to get it taken off(opened a dispute). Then later in the day went back to the bank to get my loan done and they won't give me one since I have an open dispute. How do I close this? I called numerous people at equifax and they said I just have to wait. I can't wait as I will be closing on a home soon, hopefully. Thank you for any advice. I will be applying for a conventional loan with 20% down. My debt to income was at 9%.
  • February 28 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Clearpoint
It's amazing how hard it is to remove a dispute that you place on an account.  It still amazes me how easily you can dispute something but voluntarily removing it has to be such a chore.  I've seen borrowers forced to jump through some crazy hoops just to get it removed.

Profile picture for omahascuba
I was able to get my open dispute taken off. There is no way to remove it online like Andy Mac said. You have to call and speak to a specific manager.

Profile picture for omahascuba
Andy Mac, I can not find any place online to withdraw an open dispute. Do you have a link? Or where I could find it?

You can "withdraw" the dispute online  - visit the Equifax website.

Thanks for clarifying.  It is the dispute you wish to have removed.

Valid negative entries cannot be removed from a credit report until the prescribed time limit has expired.  Even if a judgement has been paid, it is a valid entry (it should note that it was paid)

Profile picture for omahascuba
Sorry I should be more clear. At this point I just want my open dispute to be cancelled. I could care less about the judgement. The bill was paid completely. The doctors office was supposed to remove it from my credit but didn't.

Profile picture for Ben Link

Disputing a negative account used to be a great way to get it excluded from your credit score calculations, but that loop hole was recognized closed so it doesn't work any more.

Is the judgment still owing? If so, you will most likely need to pay it and provide evidence of the satisfaction of the judgment. That's what is issued by the courts when a judgment is paid and the court releases it's claim against you. You may need to go down to the courthouse to take care of this.

Is the judgment already paid and satisfied? Again, provide the document showing this to your loan officer.

Here's the vital step that is probably the quickest solution to your problem - have your loan officer request a "rapid rescore" or whatever the credit reporting company calls it. This is where the credit reporting company is able to jam documentation "upstream" to the credit bureaus, and get them to change your permanent record. It is quick but will probably cost $75 or so for each bureau. You can probably get your dispute of the account dropped at the same time. Good luck! Ben

I'm a bit confused. If I'm reading correctly, in the first post you are concerned about the dispute and in the second post you are concern about having the judgement removed.

Removing valid information such as a valid judgement from your credit report is not done (unless you can trip someone up on a technicality).   Only the courthouse reporting the judgement can remove it, hence the guidance you received from the credit bureau employees. 

Profile picture for omahascuba
Should the letter be sent to a specific department? Everyone I have spoke with via the phone said there is absolutely nothing they can do. they said they have to go to the courthouse physically and see if the judgment can be taken off.

Fannie and Freddie will not allow a loan to be sold to them if the automated findings show a disputed account, so this will need to be cleared up, a new credit report will need to be pulled, and new automated findings will need to be run.  The bank should have known this from the day they first ran the automated findings or pulled your credit report as this is standard for everyone.  You will need to write a letter stating you no longer dispute the account then have the lender forward to the bureaus for deletion.  If you need more help or they tell you they cannot close the loan, please reach out to me and I would be happy to help.  Thanks.