Profile picture for KathyAFischer

How to dewinterize a home?

I just closed on a condo on Oct 3. I had an inspection on Aug. 30. Utilities were turned  on for the inspection.When I went to start cleaning I found that the house had been winterized. No water. I have an all electric home so there is no gas and the electric is on. My question is what exactly has to be done to dewinterize? Is it as simple as turning the wataer on at the main valve? Also, what about the water tank? Anything special about that? I'd really hate to have to pay a couple hundred dollars when all it takes is a flip of a handle. I  appreciate any answers.
Thanks>
  • October 07 2013 - Medina
  • 0

Profile picture for KathyAFischer
Tim, there are shut off valves under the sink for both the ice maker and dishwasher. The washer lines are capped. There is a water spigot inside the garage but doesn't look like it's capped. Thanks for the info.

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
It depends what they did to dewinterize. You need to check all water lines to see if they unhooked them otherwise when you turn on the water you will get water from places you didn't expect.

Check the ice maker water line from the wall to the refrig

Check water line to the washer + dishwasher

Probably no outside water spigots to worry about in a condo.

IMPORTANT - do not turn the hot water heater on at the fuse box until the water is on and flowing from both sides - hot (won't be hot but make sure its flowing) and cold sides. Then flip on the breaker or you will burn out the elements in seconds.

tim