Profile picture for pptymagmt

How to find a good buyer's agent?

I am trying to buy a property for last couple of months, but with no luck. The realtor basically linked me to the automated listing service and thats all. I spend hours trying to find on the internet what is available and inform her. Seems like she does no homework beforehand since quite a few times after we see the house she calls the same day to tell us we cant put an offer because the house is under contract. Or, I would find a property that just came on market and inform her but she takes a few days before scheduling any showing. By the time we are ready to see it gets under contract.                                   Seems as if technology has allowed the realtors to cut corners and delegate ALL of the searching to the clients. Opening the doors and submitting the contract is all they have limited themselves to. I am getting frustrated with the situation. I tried a realtor before her but that was even worse. After finding a few properties that interests me and informing her she would say she will look into it and not respond for days, in the meantime property gets sold.                     
 I am sure there is that honest and competent agent out there, but how to find one?

• November 29 2013 - Wheaton
  • 4

Profile picture for eungsikgoon3
[Promotion and website deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines.]
  • January 15

Have you obtained a pre-approval from a bank or lender?  If so, I recommend that you reach out to your loan officer and ask if they have worked with an agent that is reliable and aggressive.  If they have worked with the agent before, they would be able to give you solid opinion because they know their work ethic.  Most important, make sure you work with a full time agent!  This is key.

Family may be another option, but you have a better chance asking someone that works with the agent on a regular basis.  Good luck.  I'm sorry that you have had such a bad experience so far, but rest assured, not all agents are like that.
  • January 06

Are you looking to purchase the property for investments or to live in ??....[contact info deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]
  • January 06

Profile picture for mcdooofus
HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN ME.

I called a Realtor today and told him we're in the market for our first house and that I need a buyers agent.  He's not a friend, but he's at my church, so I would talked to socially here and there for a decade or more, and he works for Weichart for ages now, so I guessed he's probably alright.

HIM:  "Great you want to buy a house -- we need to meet to go over some things -- but first things first -- what is your budget?"

ME: "We can spend $300k but we definitely want to do it for less.  That's the max.. but I've seen some candidates on the MLS website for $275k in (Town A) that seem to be what we are looking for."

HIM:  "Great, I know a house in (Town B) which is a new listing.  $375k... great schools, great access to the highway..."

ME:  "Whoa... wait.  Why are we talking about a $375k house?  I said we would max out at $300k."

HIM:  "Oh, $375k is negotiable.  And this one is a really nice house. A good value....."

ME:   "Are you telling me that $375k gets negotiated  to below $300k?!"

HIM:  "No, it won't be under $300k, but we might get it for 350k.  Let me tell you about it...."

ME:  "I'm afraid you're not hearing me.  We need you to get us the best price on a house.  You immediately told me about a house $100k more than our max budget and gave a hard sell on it."

HIM:  "Oh, c'mon.  Don't be like that.  You know I have awards for showing the most houses in such and such period.  I know the market."

ME:  "Quick question.  That house.  It's one of your listings, right?"

HIM:  "Well, sort of.  It's a new listing.  But I will assist the sellers...."

ME:  "Now I get it.  I guess I will have to call you back"  (meaning sometime just after Hell freezes over).

the best bet is to ask friends/relatives for referrals.  there are some great buyers agents and then some not so great.  Buying a home is a huge transaction, you want the right team.  You can interview a few agents and select the one that you think would be the best fit.  ask - how long have they been licensed, how many closings in the last year, do they typically represent buyers or sellers or both, are they familiar (and geographically close) to the area you want to live, what is their background before becoming an agent, and ask to speak to some of their other clients...  
you can check on line for recommendations as well - Zillow, trulia etc. 
you will end up spending a lot of time with a good buyer's agent, make sure you chose the right one. 

Good referral is always a plus. Ask people you trust for referral.

The buyer agency and buyer relationship, is not unlike any other relationship, it takes communication and time to make it work the way you want it to be. Have a word with the buyer agent and let the agent know what you expect from that relationship.  Sometimes, a brand new buyer agent is the best solution, since you may be the only client they have, they can concentrate on your special needs.  Write down your expectations before you meet with the buyer agent.  By the way what is your price range?  Have you been pre-approved already?

When I help connect my clients in other cities to agents, I use the CRS network.  The Certified Residential Specialist designation is among the highest possible in the industry, and only 3% of agents have earned it.  It is a measure of education and experience.  I have never had a complaint about a CRS agent that I referred.  If you would like for me to help connect you to one in your area, please let me know.  It does not cost you anything to have a buyer's agent.

Profile picture for Andrew Malak
How may I help you? I work days/evenings, weekends and holidays beside Christmas.

Referrals are always a great source. I have found, much to my surprise and dismay, that several of my past and current clients have told me they have worked with agents in the past who were just terrible; unattentive, unresponsive, unhelpful. (And that I was different from those other agents, which is why my clients ultimately chose to work with me). It is shocking to me that so many agents are going around giving the true professionals and the true hard workers of this industry such a bad impression to so many people. I work in the Wheaton, IL area and would be more than happy to help you with your home search. Feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Speak with family/friends/coworkers to see if they can recommend someone. Otherwise I guess it is hit and miss. I have been doing this 27 yrs so I hope I am doing something right.