Profile picture for Indiguns

How to find good places to relocate (and buy: first time) along a route, near a city? Choices etc?

How to find good places to relocate (and buy: first time) along a route, near a city? Choices, Options that you can check to specify your preferences etc?
  • April 01 2010 - Town of Westerly
  • 0

I strongly recommend that you call a local real estate office and ask
to talk to an agent that has experience living or selling in that city or town

I recommend calling local police stations and school districts.  They can give you honest true advice about local areas with in that particular city, and can even recommend other areas for you.

Also check out state websites, they have any and all information that you would need on that particular state.

If you're coming out to the area at all, even for a weekend, I suggest when going out to eat to eat at small local eateries, not familiar chains.  At these small local eateries you'll find the staff and owners to be very knowledgeable of the area and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

I hope you all found this helpful!

Buying a home in a unfamiliar area can be tricky.  You really should look into finding an agent that specializes in the areas you think you may like.  Talk to them & get a "real" feel for the area, then you just need to make your own conclusion on what is the best fit!  There are many agents on here including myself that would be more than nhappy to help you!

Profile picture for rernst
I'm a third time buyer and we now have children. We never could have known what we would want until our children got a little older. Our priorities for where to send them to school changed, and this was top priority in finding a new home. That in mind, if you plan to have children in the future, just think in terms of resale value and ease of selling your home in order to be able to move to a new location once your perspective changes. I would preserve as much capital as I could on my first home in order to save for the next purchase of a home once life sorts itself out into really settling you down :-)
My hubby and I would be much happier living in an urban area close to work if we didn't have kids. WIth kids, we want to be out in the country and within driving distance to work and school. We ended up choosing a private school, but we also considered free public charter schools as opposed to public schools.

I'd be happy to discuss some of the choices available for relocating in Rhode Island. 

Tammy J. Pelletier, GRI
[Content removed by moderator due to self-promotion]

Profile picture for Indiguns
I actually looked online and found some sites which list the profiles of various cities, crime rates, economy, education, voters, diversity and defined my priorities in terms of cities from there. Further, got distances of my workplace from each of these cities, and now I am confident doing home hunting from the first 4-5 choices I have, and hope to pick something up very soon.

Took me around 5-8 hrs but found cities that I will be happy to live forever in.

Thanks for your answers.

Indi

I like to look for businesses I enjoy going to on google maps and then try and be around there.  

Profile picture for cjcsellshomes
Good Afternoon,

Your best bet by far is to actually visit the area and check for yourself.  If that is not an option there are several resources including zillow to do a lot of investigation.  From there if you are still unable to get out to visit a location you will have to find a knowledgeable real estate agent to be your eyes and ears while you are on the hunt.

Hope that helps,
Happy Hunting,
Chris