Profile picture for Sandeep Desai

How to fix slightly warped Roof

I put a shingles over my existing shingles 8 years ago. My roof is slightly warped.

The home inspector says that this maybe due to inadequate ventilation in the attic.

What contractor should I call to fix this?
  • August 03 2010 - Woburn
  • 1

We had one in Oakland CA years ago that was "warped" new term for a roof for me. I called for a roof inspection by a licensed roofer and the agent went ballistic on me... a couple months went by and I get a call to go out and reinspect that roof. It was just as straight as could be but I expected the worst from the agent and was quite surprised when he told me the reason for that warping was five layers of roofing and that a slight earthquake could have brought that roof down on his buyer. In any case he apologized and we were friends again. lol. It could be there are too many layers of roofing but a roofer is your best bet.

Profile picture for Sandeep Desai
I live in a Massahcusetts. There are other similar homes in my neighborhood. I called 3 roofing guys and they said that there is no structural problem. I think my problem may have been cause by me putting two layers of shingles and usage of a central fan in the attic.

Also I one of the roofing guys said that I should seal my gable vents and install soffit vents, since I have a ridge vent

Profile picture for Brian French
Very nice answers by everyone - right on the money - but Sandee said that it was the roof "framing" that is warped.  This is not something that you just reverse.   Sandee - do you live in a cold climate; snow-load may be the real cause, that and thin sheathing/decking material and inadequately sized roof joist. 

Sounds like you need a licensed roofing contractor.  Key word being licensed.  Ask friends or neighbors, or a local Realtor (we know lots of contractors!) if there is anyone they recommend.  Is your attic hot?  Hot attics are terrible for a roof, as they significantly decrease the life of the shingles.  Ventilation is key here, ideally soffit and ridge vents, but gable end vents with a fan can help if that's all you can do.  Also, even though it is legal, you should never install a second layer of shingles.  Each layer decreases the roof life by about five years or so, due to heat buildup, so it really isn't worth it.  Plus, if you leave the old shingles on, not only do you trap any moisture, but you also lose out on the opportunity to inspect the decking before covering it for another ten to thirty years.
Best of luck,
Meg

It sounds like you want a roofer to put in "ridge vents:" but without seeing It  I can't gbe sure.No matter what, it really depends on where you are located, You should get someone local, talk to neighbors, get a refferal and mention the name of the person that gave your the  name. Make them accountable.

Profile picture for ABBAUSA
Shingles over shingles (sometimes called a recover) have to be installed in the same lines as the existing shingles to lay flat and be smoother(otherwise you have voids and pockets make the shingle fragile). If you just started re-shingling like you had a fresh deck you must remove the shingles. I know it is lots of trouble and expense, but going back to wood deck is the best possible solution. I have recovered many roofs, but no longer recommend recovers. The last two hurricanes that blew through my area convinced me to only tear-off and install directly to the deck. (all double lay roofs failed miserably under hurricane winds almost without exception)
For ventilation I prefer Vent Ridge. It gives the very best for the least dollar amount. Vent Ridge can be installed regardless of what came before. Use screws w/rubber washers so the vent ridge can be reused after the next re-roof.

Roofing and Venting is by roofing contractor but can be handled by most any carpenter. Roof deck and roof framing is carpentry.

James Callas - Realtor®  

OK,
  Then you  can do this: Call a roofing contractor that is PROFICIENT in framing and ventilation issues and/or a general contractor that is PROFICIENT in framing and ventilation issues. Get their opinions and bids(if necessary).
 That is a bit of an unusual call on the part of the inspector( attributing the warpage due to lack of ventilation),but, lets not say they are wrong until the experts come out and take a look. The inspection may have pointed out something unusual; that's fine; the experts will give you some sense of where the situation is at. For instance; if the framing has not changed since you have been there; how did it get that way and why hasn't it changed.  If it has changed and gotten worse since you have lived there, then the roofer and General can help with some opinions.

Profile picture for Sandeep Desai
The Roof Framing is warped. I put comp shingles over comp shingles.

If the ventilation is the problem I can hire somebody to fix the problem

Hi Sandeep,
 Are you saying that the roof framing or the roof shingles are warped?
Did you put comp shingles over comp shingles or comp shingles over wood shingles?
Do you want to fix the ventilation ?

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Roofing contractor.