Profile picture for tyson ave

How to fix the stains in the hardwood flooring.

Does anyone know how to fix extensive deep stains observed in the hardwood flooring due to pets waste?

August 08 2007 - US

Profile picture for robin398
Your hardwood floor might still be saved from permanent stains if you act quickly. After picking up pet waste and blotting it with a cloth or towel, directly apply vinegar to the stained area. Make sure you get everything. Then, use a pet cleaning product and follow the directions. If the stains are too hard to get out, you can attempt to sand and re-seal.

Profile picture for airnh2o
You say "extensive deep stains" so I assume the staining has been going on for some time. I have had to deal with this several times in the past and I have had mixed results. In all cases the the floors were so badly damaged that total refinishing was required. Depending on the thickness of the wood flooring you may be able to sand it out. If you have thin top nail flooring you won't be able to sand very deep plus you will be re-setting nail heads and filling the holes. Not fun. I have tried bleaching agents which result in the opposite affect, an area that is lighter than the rest of the floor. One time I stained the wood to hide the stains and this worked on most of the floor but there were still some areas where the stains showed through. I really don't recommend this approach. You might try combining the previous suggestion with sanding, I haven't tried that yet but will the next time I have stain problems on a hardwood floor.

Profile picture for FIREFLY1298
IN THE PAST WHEN I HAVE ENCOUNTERED THIS I HAVE FOUND THE BLEACHING WILL USUALLY NOT WORK -- IT WILL ALSO BE HARD TO SAND DOWN TO WHERE YOU CAN GET THE STAIN OUT AND NOT LEAVE A CRATER OR DIMPLE IN THE WOOD
ONE THING YOU MIGHT CONSIDER (ASSUMING THE FLOOR IS TONGUE AND GROOVE) YOU CAN REMOVE THAT WHICH IS STAINED WITH A SAW AND CHISEL -- CAREFULLY REPLACE WITH NEW WOOD WHICH YOU CAN BUY AT A LUMBER YARD -- THEN TAKE A SAMPLE OF THE OLD ALONG WITH SOME NEW STOCK TO A PAINT STORE AND GET THE PROPER STAIN TO MATCH
THIS WILL BE A SLOW AND TEDIOUS METHOD OF REPAIR BUT IF YOU TAKE YOUR TIME IT WILL BE WORTH IT

Profile picture for jnglcat
In order to get rid of your pet stains you may have to refinish your floors. This means you will need to sand the area, treat the area, apply a stain and then seal the floors. We just recently refinished our hardwood floors. After removing the carpeting that was down for over 20 years, we found that our floors were not in the best of shape with some very dark stains. We had to sand the floors down to its natural wood color. The dark staining that we had was awlful. I tried several things to remove the staining and the only things that truely helped was white vinegar! Yes! White vinegar! The house did not smell very well, but it did do a great job. So I recommend that you buy the biggest container of vinegar that you can find. When you apply the vinegar, you need to literally pour the vinegar over the affected area and allow it to seep into the wood and to throughly dry. You may need to do several applications. But with each application, the stain will get lighter and lighter. It may not completely disappear and I can almost guarantee you that you may be the only person that knows its there! After the floor is complete dry and you are happy with the floor, you can apply a stain and then seal with polyurethane. Even though we were not able to get all of our dark stains out of the wood, I can tell you that our floors looks great and the areas that were once darkened from pet urine or water, actually gave the floor some character and looks naturally aged. Nobody has yet to tell us they can see the damaged areas that were once bothersome to us!

How do you replace electrical wiring in a home? Costs?
Latest reply by user7705784
June 12 | 21 answers
Does putting a fence on your property, increase the value?
Profile picture for Shannon Biszantz
Latest reply by Shannon Biszantz
June 05 | 13 answers
Clogged Drain solutions....DIY-using softdrinks???
Profile picture for warchildbosnia
Latest reply by warchildbosnia
May 30 | 25 answers
Cost of Building A Garage
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
May 15 | 5 answers
Where is the best place to buy major appliances?
Profile picture for BungalowMo
Latest reply by BungalowMo
April 30 | 38 answers