Profile picture for swampwiz

How to get a loan with only IRA assets

I am retired early and not 59-1/2 years old, with virtually no debt.

I have a large IRA (both Roth & traditional) and no other income.  Some of the Roth is considered contribution (i.e., actual contribution or a Roth conversion over 5 years) with other Roth conversion less than 5 years, and gains on the Roth.

I have been living cheaply abroad, only taking contribution distributions from my Roth.  I would like to buy a home in the USA, but am unsure how to use the fact that I have this IRA to prove my income ability to buy a home - I could easily take another $1K per month to pay the note on the home.  It seems that all loan officers want to see a job or a pension, but all I have is my IRA, and I haven't been taking any taxable distributions, so my income is very low (I have been doing Roth conversions up to the extent that I am in the 0% tax bracket.)

I suppose I could just take a taxable early distribution from either the Roth or traditional IRA and buy the home with that, but I would prefer to leave that in the retirement account as an investment and simply pay a low interest rate loan - to say nothing of having as much cash inside of the IRA, to make confiscation in a possible future Chapter 7 bankruptcy as low a risk as possible (i.e., any equity in the home above the exemption amount would be confiscated in a Chapter 7 filing.)

So how do I go about doing this?  I have the assets to make the payments, but the standard way that banks operate - especially these days after the crisis - don't seem to allow folks like me who are credit-worthy to get loans.  I would have no problem coming up with 20 or 25% of the price of the home as a downpayment.
  • April 22 2012 - Bella Vista
  • 0

It is possible to use income from IRA monthly distribution to qualify but value of IRA(s) would need to support 36 months + of that monthly distribution. This is a special FNMA program so If you need more info contact me through my profile.