Profile picture for TinaEdwards3

How to increase selling potential without a lot of cash?

I want to sell my home so my family and I can relocate. Before I get an agent to come in a give me an appraisal, I am wanting to make my home more sell-able. I am on a very limited to almost no budget to do a lot of repairs, which the house really don't need. What are some basic things I can do to improve the selling potential of my home?

February 01 - Lumberton

One CAUTION

When you power wash do not hit the windows,  it breaks the seal and the windows fog up.  Never use a garden hose on windows either, same thing,  just do it like the professionals

February 08
Power wash the house, paint, and make sure the lawn and landscaping are up to par or above par in the neighborhood. When we flip homes, or try to help our clients that have limited budget for repairs to a home the best return on investment is always creating better curb appeal. One of my investors just made 60,000 profit one a house that was cluttered up to the ceiling. We removed all the items, spent $300.00 on a fine sales clean (the place was a disaster), pressure washed, and cut back $300.00 in landscaping and added some wood chips and flowers and made a huge profit. If he would have painted the place it would have brought even more. Its amazing what small changes can do to the marketability of a property.

De-clutter your space and box up any extra nick knacks around the house. Remove all personal pictures of the family. Make sure you have flat surfaces like counter-tops, the top of your fridge, desks, etc. clear of any items. Make sure that your home is thoroughly cleaned throughout the listing process. Your agent can make other great recommendations.

February 07
I know you mentioned that you wanted to do some things to the home before you get an agent but you can save yourself a lot of time if you make use of the resources provided to you. An experienced listing agent is either knowledgeable in how to stage a home to sell, or they will have a professional stager come and assist you in getting your home ready for a fee.  When you interview different listing agents, ask them what their process is in staging a home.

Hopefully this helps!

February 06

I agree with everyone paint, declutter, power wash, as spring rolls around the corner small things to improve curb appeal.  Good Luck!

February 06
paint & declutter!

February 03
Profile picture for TinaEdwards3
Thanks everybody for the advice. I will definitely follow it.

February 01
Most important to making your house show well is to make it clean, and decluttered.  Here is a blog post I wrote recently with 10 tips to help you get ready for a home showing: Home Showing Checklist

February 01
Talk to several different agents before you settle on a specific one to list/represent you.

If the current real estate business model works, you will find an agent that can provide you with realistic expectations and great ideas that will help you get the results.

If you don't use an Agent or their advice, cleaning, painting and de-clutter are just a few of the basics that will work.

February 01
Profile picture for mjoaitken
I've seen a professional show where they said that two things always sell a house.  Paint the rooms white and get all of the furniture and you things out.  This way a buyer can picture the self in there. Sandpaper, paint and a garage for storage would make this come alive.  Good luck!

February 01
Paint
De-clutter
power wash decks and siding

February 01
Tune into my show
[Self-Promotion removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

February 01