Profile picture for AmberMatthews4847

How to move a septic tank??

My fiancee and I just found a house, the only house in the county that we are actually excited about and can see us living there. However, when I called the realtor, he stated that the reason the house won't sell is because half of the septic tank is on the neighbors property and we have to have an approval from our lender to get it first before we can even look at the house. 
We are first time home buyers and are very confused at this. We asked if we could put it in our offer for the seller to fix it, but he said since its a foreclosure, they wouldn't do anything like that. The realtor also told me that some banks offer loans for just this sort of thing. What should we do? We absolutely love this house and want to see all we can do before we even consider walking away, yet we don't want to spend a lot of money before we can even get a look at the house.
  • April 05 2014 - US
  • 0

It's a bank owned home, no longer called a foreclosure, that process is over. I have to wonder if the tank is on the other property or the lines are - or both. I am not sure where you are but moving a septic system is not that expensive here since we have mostly sand as soil. If you are in a more clay area it can be more expensive. $2-3k here and $5-7k in other places.

I have no idea what you mean by you must get some sort of approval to just look at the house. How can you know "we actually love this house" if you have not yet seen it? Your agent just need to show it to you. Your agent needs to contact the county health dept who issues permits for septic systems and ask for a copy of the current septic field and tank. It's underground so how does anyone know where it is or are they guessing? If the bank can't sell it because the system is on another lot then they will have to fix it.