Profile picture for longejs

How to move into another house without selling your current one.

Hi. I would like to buy a new home and rent out my current home. It seems the only way to qualify for a 2nd loan is to have at least 25% equity in my current home and proof of a renter. I probably have at most 10% equity now. I couldn't afford to put the extra 15% down and 20% down on a new home. The reason I would to move is an increase of family size which I know is a possible good reason. My main question is there anyway to get approved for a 2nd loan without having 25% in my current home. I read somewhere if you can show rentor income on your tax return it is possible but they didn't go into it. Is that possible? Is there any other ways? I have excellent credit and a good debt to income ratio.

August 24 2010 - Aurora

You need 30% equity to count 75% of rental income into your qualifying income. Without defaulting, IMHO,  the only other way to move into a larger home is to rent. Then, rent your current home. .... Best wishes, Rudi

The mortgage market has become very tight. Lenders have gone from the one extreme of...'all you need to get a mortgage is a pulse'......to now they want a DNA sample and the rights to your 1st born and then maybe they will give you a loan.
My web site has a few references. They also do FHA which might be an option. Try to avoid the big banks like Chase, Wells, BOA etc because those are the worst. Try local banks who might not be that rigid.

philip

If your income to debt is sufficient to qualify for current and new mortgage payment, there is not a requirement that you have a lease on current property. Most can not qualify to carry both mortgages and don't have sufficient down payment without selling/closing on current home.
Get a referral to a local loan officer and discuss options....even if you qualify there is a huge risk to own two properties with mortgage payments, utilities, maintenance and repairs cost outgoing monthly for a unspecified period of time. My advice is to sell your current home before you purchase another one.  Your Realtor can advise you on how not to be "homeless"....

I agree with Wayne that you should contact a local agent that can help you to sell your current home.  If you are like many sellers, your goal of renting it was probably to hold off on selling it until the market recovers possibly?  Well not only could this take quite a while, but when "buying up" given today's deals, you'll usually make up any lost depreciation from the home you sold through buying a home that is larger and has more upside when the market does recover.  Best of luck!

Unfortunately the mortgage market has become very restrictive.  In order to use rental income of a current primary residence you must have at least 30% in equity.
Absent of that the only way to qualify for a new mortgage is to either show that you can qualify for your new mortgage as well as your current one or to get someone to co-sign with you so you can qualify for both mortgages at the same time.
I'm sure this isn't a pretty answer but it is where we are in today's mortgage world,

Although the current mortgage market is tighter than before, if you can make the twenty five percent equity. You can get into an FHA loan on your new home with 3.5% down and be able to use the rental income to help you qualify.

Good luck in your venture.

Greg Migacz

Profile picture for Greg  Migacz
Latest reply by Greg Migacz

1. 2719 Downing Ct # 38A, Aurora, IL Home For Sale
    2719 Downing Ct # 38A, Aurora, IL 60502

2. 2710 Clara Ave, Aurora, IL Home For Sale
    2710 Clara Ave, Aurora, IL 60502

3. 122 Northampton Dr, Oswego, IL Home For Sale
    122 Northampton Dr, Oswego, IL 60543