Profile picture for AMMikesell

How to overcome ZILLOW INACCURATE ZESTIMATE THEY REFUSE TO FIX

I am at my wits end.... I live in a condo building and there are thirty units in this building. All but 3 units are two bedroom two baths. There are three styles one 1340 square feet one 1230 square feet and one 1201 square feet both bathrooms in all thirty units the same which are 2 full baths. They have my unit ZESTIMATE at 270,000 yet the very same unit as mine down the hall ZESTIMATE is 319,100. This is crazy. That unit is almost exact only it has carpet zero up grades and not hardwoods or 45,000 in upgrades. I KNOW ZESTIMATES DO NOT TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION UPGRADES BUT BUT BUT IT SHOULD BE BASED ON SQUARE FOOTAGE AND HOW MANY BEDS AND BATHS. MY TAXABLE VALUE IS 329,000 AND UNIT 201 202 203 204 205 210 301 302 308 309 ......all these units ZESTIMATES are well above 300,000 and some of these units are smaller in square footage as well as half as nice yet my ZESTIMATE IS 50,000 dollars under at 270,000. I have asked a hundred times for this to be acknowledged and looked at and get sent the same form letter back from zillow. If this information is going to be reported then there should be some consistency. I am now selling my home and of course it has been brought up. I do however have a recent hard copy appraisal that supports my value but still this has affected the amount of showings.
  • May 09 2012 - City Park West
  • 0

Have you read Zillow's very recent update of "What is a Zestimate?".      It helps describe some of the reasons for variation between more or less identical properties (sales history, tax history being two biggies) as well as some of the things you can do.

Have you looked at the value range?   The value range is the 70% confidence interval for market value.  How does the value range compare to the other condos?

Profile picture for AMMikesell
Thanks for your response. Crazy as it is to me and I understand how unreliable their zestimates are.....unfortunately I have been encountering questions as to why my ZESTIMATE is so low and if there are any big differences in my home than the other units. Funnybthing is I have the second most upgraded unit in the building and all of the square footages are pretty close to one another. Unfortunately many consumers put weight into these estimates when they should not. I just was wondering if there was anything I could do.

A zestimate is a good starting point to determine a ballpark value, but hardly comparable to an appraisal or even a CMA or BPO.  I doubt that a Zillow estimate would have any impact on the number of showings you are getting. 

Don't worry about the Zestimate, just price the house correctly and hire a good Realtor to market your property - you will be fine!