How to remove haze from a ceramic tile floor?

Hi...if a ceramic tile floor was not properly wiped down while being installed what can I do now to remove the haze over it?  No matter how much washing the chalky white haze is still there.  Worse around the edges but for the most apart all over.
  • January 31 2011 - Attleboro
  • 1

Vinegar Does not work on cleaning grout haze off tile.

Profile picture for joyceflowers7
Please try white vinegar and  water. My hardwood and tile floor had a haze to it-----------after asking the manufacture I was told to use a small ----- about 1/4  cup of white vinegar with warm water and mop as usual.  My floors shine. Hope that this is helpful to you---all I use on my hardwood is water and vinegar and most times the tile as well. 

Just curious who the contractor was that left you with the haze on the tile? I would never use them again and I am sure there are others here that would like to avoid using them as well. These type of sites are good for sharing this kind of info. Hope you got it all worked out.

It is going to take A LOT of elbow power and a scotch pad/water, I agree with Ethan...it is from the grouting process.
If you can't get this off to satisfy yourself, just start pulling the tile up and pitch it ... it isn't worth the head ache and if it is a small area I wouldn't even think twice about pulling it.
WHEN INSTALLING:
When I install tile I grout with a bucket of water beside me, grout 9 tiles at a time, then wipe once (with a damp)  sponge  ( both sides) rinse sponge out, wipe again and repeat this a 3rd. time pulling the sponge towards the next to grout tile and move on.
Go back the next day and sponge with clean water and dry with a towel.

This is one place I disagree with what I see on tv, grout the whole thing then come back hour or two later...you will be sorry if you do.

When choosing a tile make sure you get one that isn't to distressed, they are grouting nightmares! I installed a patio once 6 hours to install...13hours to grout.
If you choose distressed tile anyway do yourself a big favor and also choose a grout that matches the tile as close as possible, it not only looks better but the little bit of grout you can't get to will match.
-Joseph-

The ideal time to try to clean up grout haze is about twenty-four hours after the grout has set. It is a skill best learned though trial and error, but if you already have grout haze then there are some things you can do to clean up the situation.

To begin obtain a scotch brite pad from your local home improvement store. These are usually green in color, but can be other colors as well. Using warm water and a little elbow grease gently scrub the haze with the pad. If the grout haze isn't too strong this will often be enough to remove the haze. This technique works especially well if your tiles have a shiny glazed finish. For matte finished tile, such as terra cotta, you may need to try a different technique.

[Promotional hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

Profile picture for jim.bushart825
Leveller is basically a really thin-set mortar. There are products made for cleaning that type of stuff off tile, we used them all the time when I used to lay tile and they saved us a LOT of work.

Look in your local hardware place (I know for a fact that the larger stores carry the stuff) in the tile section. Look for the acidic cleaners, usually they say that they clean grout haze. All the ones I've used are great in cleaning off grout and mortar haze from tiles.

A few things to note: the chemicals are acidic, so mix them in a plastic bucket, and USE GLOVES! Also do not let the solution come into contact with cement, or metal such as drains or sinks, etc. It WILL etch or discolor them. Lastly, the product may create fumes when used, so make sure to use adequate ventilation.

Also, you may have to apply the product a few times. If the haze is stubborn, don't be afraid to let it sit on the tile for longer than the instructions say, up to an hour or two if necessary.

[multiple commercial hotlinks removed by Zillow moderator]

The haze is probably from the grouting process.  You can buy a grout haze remover solution from most tile stores if you'd rather not use the vinegar.  Remember that vinegar is acidic so it will need to be rinsed well and can cause dulling of some tiles if it is left on too long.  

My first move would be to try a white synthetic steel wool pad(sometimes called Scotch Brite) pads to mechanically remove the haze with a bit of water.  The synthetic is much gentler on the tile, DO NOT use regular steel wool.

You will have to reseal the grout after you've tried any of these techniques.

I hope this helps,
Ethan 

Please tell me more about the Tang removal !  Know old remedies work best...vinegar etc.
thanks!

Hello Cheryl
I recommend a cleaner from Home Depot or Floor and Decor and then
a sealer . This will solve the problem and will keep it from coming back.
The profeesional products are not expensive.

Vinegar works ....plus you can cook with it.

Hello Cheryl, 

The best way and is what I do, after wiping it down with a damp sponge with clean water each time, let it dry then take small terry cloth towels and rub them out like taking wax off a car. you will have some dust that you just vacuum up.  

Have you seen this site (via Google of course!)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/893141/how_to_remove_grout_haze_from_a_new.html

I was going to suggest Tang......that stuff works on everything :-).