Profile picture for wmuenyi

How to rent a home that's for sale

I am wondering how to go about renting a house that's for sale. The house has been on the market for well over 1 year now and it doesn't look like the house is going anywhere anytime soon. I have tried contacting the realtor company in charge of the house and they say they're not even going to consider a rental offer but I think maybe the home owner himself/herself would probably consider one seeing as the house as been there for so long. 

My question is how do I go about this situation because I really want this house but I do not want to buy it. 

Here's the listing link: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8828-Klondike-Rd-Pensacola-FL-32526/44681523_zpid/
  • April 05 - Pensacola
  • 0

Profile picture for John Steeby
This is a terrific question. As a licensed instructor, I have many property owners come through my classes who realize that when the market is soft, sometimes it is better to rent. They're hoping to cover their costs while the market recovers more fully and then they will sell.

Some things to keep in mind: A seller doesn't want to be a renter, unless they have no other choice. My suggestion is to look for property with long market times, where the seller might be more open to a rental situation. Remember that a lease, unless there are contrary provisions, survives the transfer of property, meaning if the seller sells the house while you are renting it, the new owner will have to honor the existing lease.

Finally, the landlord will want to show the property to potential buyers. Arrangements need to be worked out between you and the landlord and, if not covered under the CLTO, you should talk to your attorney about the wording of the lease.

Best of luck to you!
  • April 05

Contact the owner. Let them know what you're proposing and see if they're interested. 
Be mindful of the contract however. In most cases the owner may have in the agreement a 30 day to vacate if a buyer is found. So if you're looking to rent for a year make sure the contract is constructed that protects you for say, a year or however long you want to rent..

Will the owner be able to show the house? How many times per month? Do you need to be there?

Just be sure the contract is written in such a way that you're comfortable with the outcome that it provides.

I hope this helps, ALOHA
  • April 05