How to respond to a strong, but contingent offerOur house in Dallas went on the market Friday. We had 3 showings over the weekend, and we have received an offer. The terms are very good: 98% of asking price, greater than expected earnest money, reasonable expectations for financing, usual 10-day option period). They set a closing date for six weeks out, with a contingency upon the sale of their house (beautiful home in prestigious area, new on market, etc.). We take the fact that we got an offer so quickly as promising, and an indication that we are fairly priced. Our realtor has indicated that although she sees clear downsides to contingencies, this appears to be a solid offer and worth considering. Two other properties sold very quickly in our neighborhood recently, but the asking (and selling) price per square foot for both was a bit below ours. Several others have languished.Because we got an offer, and a good one, so promptly, it is tempting to assume that we'll get another, and without a contingency. However, our realtor has indicated that offers have recently been very slow in coming in our market (6-9 month market), with lots of concessions by sellers. So, our question is whether to take a very good offer with a contingency, or take a pass and wait, with all the uncertainty that waiting entails. We're also not sure about how to respond to the offer -- what will be fair to both parties, without risking too much on either side. Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.September 01 2008 - US00YesReport a ProblemProblemSelect oneOffensive contentIrrelevant contentSpam (pure self-promotion)OtherDetailsYour emailPlease enter a valid email address.Submit CancelContent flaggedWe will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.