Profile picture for AnnieM3233

How would removing a half bath from our kitchen effect the home's value?

We currently live in a split-level home with one full bath + one half.  The half bath is in our kitchen and takes up a lot of space in an already tiny kitchen (no formal dining room either, so the kitchen holds our only eating space).  We are debating taking out the half bath to make more room for cabinet/storage space and adding a full bath in our basement, but we're not sure if that would help or hurt our home's value.  Any advice is much appreciated!
  • February 10 2011 - Oak Lawn
  • 0

I am strong believer in having a toilet on every floor where there is living area.  Therefore, if you chose to remove the main floor toilet, we'd reject the house quickly.   If you chose to remove the main floor toilet and not put one in the basement, we'd not come close to the house.

So, my humble opinion is that it would hurt the value.

I have to admit. The idea of a toilet next to the refrigerator sure sounds like it saves a lot of steps.

Seriously, if you could show a floorplan the replies would make a lot more sense. You could upload one as a picture if you had it available.

Profile picture for Tony K HigherSource
I specialize in adding area to a place that there is not much room, I am also a contractor, I came up with some innovative ideas because of new technologies now available and a way to open up the space as well as provide the ambiance and the look and functionality as well, I also specialize in kitchen and Bathroom remodeling, its a lot involved to be able to advised correctly, like: where are the existing utilities, all main structural load Bering walls and so fort. if interested and you are in Los angles, area can contact me and be glad to visit you and advise you then. electrotex @ aol.com

Just removing the half bath for more kitchen would probably be a negative, since the 1 bath home can be a harder sell. But adding the second turns the project into a positive. I predict a return on your investment of from 75%-200%, depending on who is doing the work and if it is done right.

In a traditional 3 level 'split' home I think that change would be more of a plus than a negative, but with the costs involved you should not plan to move for at least 5 years or so. A full bath is more of a plus than just a 1/2 bath and a bigger kitchen is also usually a plus.

Profile picture for Matt Laricy
Since its a split level, as long as your adding another full bath, it should not affect it negatively. In fact if your removing a half bath, making the kitchen bigger, and then adding a full one on the lower level, you would probably be raising the value of your property. I think its a great idea.