Profile picture for SandyAMiller1

Hyde Park Historic District - to invest or not??

Hi!

I am a real estate agent in Jacksonville, FL. I am also a premier agent on Zillow. I am wondering if you would do me a professional favor - do you know anything about The Hyde Park Historic District near i-70 to Palm, Natural Bridge, Grand Avenue to Branch Street - what can you tell me about it? Do you think it is a good place to invest money into rebuilding retail, housing and restaurants? There is a building located at 1101 Desterhan, St Louis 63107 specifically I am interested in.Do you feel that area is on the upward incline or is the crime rate real high there? Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated - thanks very much for your time and info in advance. Sandy Miller - Watson Realty Corp [Content removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy]

• April 06 2014 - Hyde Park
  • 0

Profile picture for Ask Cathy

The quickest thing I can say and eliminate personal opinion and provide fact based opinion Sandy, is to look up St Louis Metropolitan Police Crime Stats. They have a dedicated website in which information can be located easily off neighborhood.  That part of the area is close to the Highway 70 in fact you can walk onto 70 if there was no gate preventing it (Smile). I would say investment wise retail would be a hotter factor and selling point for the area for revitalization purposes.  Also pay the area a visit during night and day so that you can see activity and judge it for what it's worth.

Profile picture for Ask Cathy
The area is the old downtown portion of the city, actually just south. I live in the suburbs 30 min east of that area and I can tell you I seldom go down there. A couple times a year I may go to Union station and see an exhibit  or drive to the plaza during Chritmas time and see the light display, but I wouldn't drive there for dinner or shopping. The Plaza which is approximately 5 miles south of there is much better it is a high end retail and shopping district. But it has so many crime problems I won't go down there at night or on the weekends. The kids form the inner city (ages 9-16) go down there and terrorize people and damage cars. This started about two years ago a curfew law for that area has been put in place but it isn't helping.  

The Hyde park area has a high crime rate and the area has stayed somewhat stagnate for many years. Lots of investors are trying to refurbish buildings and turn them into lofts but the biggest problem is the surrounding area. All of the people I know that invested in business in that area, clothing, restaurants etc. have closed their doors because the area didn't support it. They moved to a different area and business took off. Apartments and lofts are the most popular things in the area but a lot of the condos have went under and lots of people have lost money. This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. The hot area in Kansa city right now the extreme north end of the city. New additions poping up low crime rate (thats where most of the police officers live) good schools. New shopping districts are all over. An even better place is in Kansas. Anywhere around the new soccer stadium is booming! I do drive out there frequently I feel much safer and there are a lot of anchor stores like Nebraska furniture Mart and Cabellas. I hope this information helps.

Good Luck

with the market being so good any investment is a good investment