Profile picture for lcmacg

I'd like to know why my next door neighbor's house is estimated to sell for over $50K more than mine

My house has the same number of baths and upstairs bedrooms, but also has a finished basement au pair suite, has a much larger lot, the house has more square footage and has a slate roof.  Why is their's priced higher?

• Question refers to 1716 Beacon St, Waban, MA 02468

It's hard to say without knowing which house you are talking about. If I look at the Newton Assessor's maps, the house to your left at 1724 is larger and has a much larger lot, so I am guessing you are not talking about that one.  The house to your right at 8 Manitoba is larger and has a larger lot, so I am guessing you mean the house behind you at 11 Manitoba.  Their lot is about 1,500sf smaller but the house sizes are identical and they also have a finished basement.  Without seeing the houses first hand, I can say the advantage they have is that they are not on a man street. 
The biggest factors are house sf, lot sf, number of rooms, location and condition.  The slate roof would not add much to the assessed value of your home.  If you want to check for yourself, the info can be found at http://www.newtonma.gov/Assessors2003/Search.asp