Profile picture for Dunes ..

I'm honestly confused...what is "General Discussion"?

"General Discussion" is one of a number of sub-categories under "Zillow Questions"

With the new Format "Zillow Questions" which includes "General Discussion" does not appear on Zillows "All Topics" page..so they go unseen unless the casual user/viewer/passerby clicks on "Zillow Questions"

Now it seems Discussions are being posted as Questions or under Categories that do get included on the "All Topics" page for no other reason than they can be seen/found....a little side-stepping to beat the new format

So what am I missing..What should be/is considered "General Discussion"

Posted this in Pro to Pro/Sucess Stories... so it'd be seen (Confession made ;)
  • July 07 2012 - US
  • 3

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

General discussion as we know it is a black hole.

Whatever. Your agenda (my perception, but I think not far from the mark) to "fix Zillow" or somehow push for what you think is right/wrong with Zillow, is clouding your perception.

The discussion I started in "Home Buying" was based on a statement made by a REA on whether to buy from a traditional RE listing or FSBO. So, I posted it where it was topical - in the same forum where the original statement was made.

If I have something that doesn't fit in another topic or is completely outside the RE domain, then I post it in "General Discussions" like this. Not really too concerned about what is/isn't seen on the general splash page for the forums, just putting things where I think they belong.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Thank you for your explanation

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Connie I think your response is the truth and the real reason people are Posting their Discussions where they think they should post....

But I have an Agenda ;)

Thumbs up to all and hopefully the casual user/viewer will pass by and read the posts..it's where I can bump it until they "move it" ;)

From a few days ago, I wondered that why no more questions as "How do I get a Zestimate" nor the questions and the answers that related to the Zestimate.
I go to conclude that:
1 - Zillow's system is somehow to be good and easy to use, the new users knew right away that where on Zillow's website should they click for the answers.
2 - The zestimates are now perfected therefore it is no more complain.
3 - The users are now all smart, they knew what is Zillow's text meant, for example "Find homes" is meant "Find Zestimates or Find your home value".

Now due to Dunes... posts on this thread, it turn out that I'm stupidity since I should know what I didn't know that to find the questions or to find the answers, which are related to the Zestimate, you should click on  the "Zillow questions" then click on the "Zestimates".

By the ways, those questions have no answer or they are answered by Wetdawgs only, which I suspected that wetdawgs has something to do with the new format. 8)

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
I saw one or two questions where the person had a real estate question but they weren't interested in buying or selling or refii etc. They were asking about surveys or land boundaries etc and so general discussion is where they put it but it got buried. So even ignoring the agenda the new setup does create a vacuum where that consumers question lives and even if that is not the target consumer for pillow because they aren't looking for a pro that has advertised here. They do have a legitimate RE question that has no.specific category. (again i typed this by phone and i can't seem.to scroll so i am.just hoping the words are close to what i intended) excuse typos

If Zillow didn't install the intel-sense in Zillow's system, like the OP's question always appear on the OP's screen each time the OP clicks Zillow's advice, then the next popular questions which even more popular than Zestimate related questions that "Where is my question?".

Profile picture for Dunes ..
You always make me smile White Picture ;)
Thanks for sharing..appreciated

My rant:

If caring about "What is General Discussion" is an Agenda I freely admit having one
If criticizing the number of non-responded to questions, the high % of non-responded to questions directed Zillow in every category is an Agenda..yes I have one
If saying now these things have been removed from plain sight by this change is an Agenda..yes I have one

Also have made it clear for days it hides the Tavern and that bothers my Ego because it killed the views

Also have made it clear the Watering Hole has gotten 80,000 plus views in 6 months...that's better than the Tavern did it's first 6 months
Don' think it's right to Bury it either
Don't think it'll get the same views/exposure

One of the fun things about having a thread like that (for me)..makes you proud of the views is you get them just like anyone else would
Main Page/All Topics..
Someone posted..bump & seen..easily found if checking up..obvious by view/posted count people were looking/interested...many

If being bothered that changed is an Agenda..I have one ;)

I also think just moving the Tavern/Watering Hole/General Discussion fixes the problem..it soothes our ego..fixes the Tavern problem but not the real one

Response ..Black hole ...Vacuum

Profile picture for Blue Nile
As near as I can figure (and that is only from reading and writing since 2007, and random E-mails to Zillow with random responses...

1) "Mixed Bag" was "created" due to Pinksandbaby and other "moms" selling their houses during falling prices, and needing a "support group.

2) During "restructuring" at the end of 2008, Zillow messed up the entire forum, especially due to sort orders.

3) The "categories" prior the 2008 change were not intuitive, so I asked for more categories and "subcategories", but they went overboard, and people weren't putting the questions in the correct sub-categories anyway, so it still wasn't possible to find the threads on a given topic.

4) In October 2011, Russ asked for "suggestions" on how to revise the forum to make it more intuitive and user friendly.  One of my suggestions was to removed the "website" issues from the "real estate" & mortgage questions, as Realtors were answered "call a Realtor" when the question was how to do something on the website.

5) Russ asked the same question in January 2012

6) Zillow accidentally removed "mixed bag" when they reorganized, and put them all in "Zillow questions".  The kept no archive, so had no way to put anything back where it belonged.  In doing so, they also reduced the number of pages one could go back with any given sort.

7) The community complained, and they put "mixed bag" back as "general discussion", but kept it under "Zillow Questions" as that is where "other" had been moved to in the reorganization.  Neither Dunes thread nor the wateringhole were moved to this category, as it worked fine just being under "Zillow Questions".

8) Then 6/7/12 they try to implement my "sugestion" to separate website issues from Real Estate discussions, and they mess everything up, as typical for software releases with no beta-testing.  But they didn't remove the sub-categories from "all topics", only the main level for "Zillow Questions", so I ask for the watering hole and Dunes Tavern to be moved to "General Discussion" so that they can be found.  I asked Russ, but Rachel moves them in about 1 day.

9) 6/27/12, Zillow implements removing the subcategories of "website issues" from "all topics".  I mention on 6/28 that it "doesn't work" as Zillow staff is not responding to the website issues, and "general discussion" is not a "website issue", and "the sort is broken" for "last updated" for Zillow Questions, which it had been since 6/7/12.

10) Russ responds on 7/5/12 that they will move General Discussion back out of "website issues" to be under "all topics" again, if that is what is desired; but so far that has not been fixed.

11) In the meantime, the sort for "zillow questions" "last updated" is fixed, and the extra "stickies" removed with only 2 stickies remaining under "website issues".

12) The left column is still not fixed to reflect this sudden change.

13) No matter how much we ask for them to beta-test" before releasing changes to the general public, they don't; and they always "break" more than the "fix" on these revisions.  There are plenty that could beta test privately for them and avoid this "embarrassment", but apparently it is still not a priority for them.  We (frequent site users) keep "warning" them, and they keep repeating the same mistakes.

Zillow advice system is now similar to the Microsoft forum, one time I have the question that relates to Silverlight for my newer project to develop a Web base Computer Assistance Design program (since the Silverlight is new to me).
After post the question I didn't see my question at nowhere, 6 months later due to I answer a question which is also related to the Silverlight, I accidentally see my ‘6 months ago question' which has 3 answers already that I had no chance to read at the time.

to say I am confused by all of this  would be an understatement - I have no idea where anything is.........

perhaps I don't really care.......

and.....perhaps I am really  glad I haven't paid for premier agent or any other frills..........as this has become  a confusing place to visit and navigate!

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Yes...
I think there are some issues..big ones imo for the casual user/customers
You know...those people we're supposedly helping and talking to about things like credibility and response and service

I do wish that Zillow would pull out one general discussion type category out from under the current Zillow Question heading. Don't know what they could call it if they don't like "general discussion" though.

With a more general category, people with questions about real estate, websites, news affecting RE etc that did not fit easily under another heading would still get some replies/views. A lot of that question type seems to be falling into the darkness right now.

I believe WhiteSands hit on the solution. The average/casual visitor really is primarily concerned with "their stuff", without regard to categories. So, why not take "My Contributions" from "profile" and bubble it up as a first-level entry on the forums' menu? Posts still get categorized for those browsing/responding, but the threads a user has posted on are aggregated for ease of location/access. Then, it really doesn't matter (at least, not as much) how the rest of the categories are displayed.

Of course he did :) because WS is a genius.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Hey here's a revolutionary thought...

Why doesn't Zillow just respond to Questions directed to or at them in their "First line of Response"?
How about that basic standard be expected of a "Billion" dollar company
The #1 RE Site..The Consumer Oriented Site

Everyone hasn't been using the Site for years, doesn't know it's ok to post this Discussion there as a Question, hasn't discussed this/that a thousand times, aren't familiar with navigating the Site/Forum and if there is a change probably aren't even aware of it..

They just know they are told to ask here if they want a response, have an issue, complaint, know they didn't get one and/or can't find it sometimes if they did because they haven't been using the Site forever or the format changed...
They seem to often post where it's seems logical to post only to learn logic isn't part of the equation

Why take simple..do better responding and make it difficult

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Why can't we even get Russ to post "WHEN" they will move "General Discussion" out from under "website issues", when he already posted that Zillow can do that?

Better yet, why bother posting "When"?  Just do it!  It only takes 5 minutes!

Profile picture for Dunes ..
IMO...
Leave it until they really change something that matters, until they really attempt fix the Problem...Zillow Response and Presence in the Forum

Not gonna be doing cartwheels cause the issue (views killed) with the Tavern was addressed (Can't/Won't speak for Connie/Watering Hole)..
But imo the Tavern & General Discussion are just a very small part of and currently victims of a much larger & more important problem...really good examples but still a small part

Profile picture for Dunes ..
"Now due to Dunes" ....
Yep....Pretty obvious White Picture (WP) is a genius ;)

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Now it's about wait & see if the yadda is just more yadda yadda

fortunately -  I think spam is still considered spam and can be flagged!

:)

True. Sadly for the spamgenetors, the Good Neighbor policy still applies to general discussion.