Profile picture for etorres552

I'm looking for a comphesive online tenant screening company. I only need this as a one time inquiry

• December 01 2011 - Rancho Cucamonga
  • 1

Profile picture for silwiljacmar
In today's world a comprehensive background screening is a must on a potential renter. I have found this can be a very time consuming process and sometimes the screening reports are complicated and take a long time to decipher. Recently I have been using an online service called Houserie. The report is comprehensive, easy to read and also gives you a quick overview. Often I can see in a couple of minutes if a tenant is a good candidate or not. This service has been very helpful.
  • May 06

Hello all...this may be an old discussion forum, and the question may be answered, as to Where to go to get tennant screening...but I would like to chime in and add Rentprep.com as the go to place for online screening... I was saved from renting my place to a three times convicted individual who was charged for working bad, big checks.
  • January 15

[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy.]

[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator.]

Profile picture for maryduncan529

[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our  Good Neighbor Policy.]

Profile picture for D will127
I personally have been using my rental for some time and I'd definitely recommend them to anyone in the industry. They offer full background checks on everything ranging from their credit score, to criminal checks. You don't have to subscribe or sign-up for multiple screenings, so you can do one check at a time. Depending on how much you charge your tenant for the application fee, it shouldn't cost you much, if anything.

Hey, I am the founder of Tenantify, so I might be biased in my answer, but for a good reason. 

Overall, there are 4 ways to screen a tenant: credit report, criminal history, eviction report, and employment/income verification. Typically landlords pull data from national/state database to get credit report, criminal history and eviction report. TransUnion's [Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy.]  is a great product in this category. Many other screening services are essentially different packaging of the same service. They might even use TransUnion as their data source. 

In contrast, employment/income verification is often under-appreciated. I cannot stress how important it is - it directly assess the tenant's ability to pay currently and in the near future. None of the other screening methods can provide such insights. However, it is difficult to do effectively. Employers typically are unwilling to verify it for you, and bank statement / paystub can both be faked.  [Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy.]is developed to solve the problem in a more scalable way. We empower landlord's decisioning by verify tenant employment and income. 

The service can be used as a one-time inquiry, or be used as your regular screening tool. It is free for landlord and tenant pays $10-15 for each verification.   

Profile picture for nate929836
There's a lot of great tenant screening companies for individual landlords that are easy to setup (same day even).  I personally use  [Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy.]from Rentec Direct and I can instantly review the credit, criminal and eviction reports for my tenants.  Many other reports too, but those are the ones I find the most useful.

Lots of other options for landlords too by just plugging in the term tenant screening into google.

Profile picture for kulvishal
If you have not done so already, as suggested, try the National Tenant Network at their site: http://www.ntnonline.com/
I have used them a few times for speedy / accurate results.

Vish

As the owner of a real estate brokerage, I use national tenant network. Their reports are comprehensive and they offer multiple screening options. However, they do require a site inspection of your work area to show that you handle sensitive data properly. This might not be the best fit for a one time pull.

My suggestion is to either tell them to visit a free credit report website and pull their own report, or visit a site which will give you a recommendation as to whether you should rent to the tenant or not. While they can't supply you with the person's actual credit report, they can give you a recommendation based on a 1-10 scale or some other metric. 

-  Jared Gruber, Broker / Owner, JG Real Estate

Profile picture for etorres552
Thanks for the quick response. I will take that into consideration.

Profile picture for PukonYukon
if you don't find one.  consider making the tenant get prequalifed for a loan and to choose from a list of banks of your choice for a house payment that would be just under what you want for rent. 

even if they don't qualify for some reason it will provide you a lot of detail about their credit history.   

other things you can do
search court dockets in your area- see if they spend a lot of time in court.
google them, find them on facebook, see if they talk about a lot of parties or how they trashed their last house and the landlord sucked.  

you get the idea.