Profile picture for HeatherBollman

I'm looking for a property management company to manage my rental home. What is the best way to fin

• April 22 2013 - Santa Clara
  • 0

Hi Heather!  

In my opinion, the property manager is one of the most crucial things involved in determining if a rental property will be successful or a disaster.

I would suggest you go to NAPRM.org to find a property manager.  They are an organization that requires their members to abide by the professional and ethical standards that they have published for professional property managers as well as pay dues to stay a part of the organization.  I have found a few really good PM's on here.  It allows you to search nationwide.  I would pull a list in your local area and then start calling and doing a phone interview.  There are several questions you should ask and you may want to write them down before you call that way you can make sure to get all your questions answered by each one.

Hope that helps!

Robert Winters
Evergreen Realty

Profile picture for Jason Muse
You can try a google search for Property Management companies in your area or contact some agents and see who they might recommend.

Ask for information for any potential companies.  What services they provide, list of fees charged, etc...

Are they licensed?  At least here in Texas, Property Mgmt companies require a broker.  Stared back in 2011 (I believe) 
Do they have the proper insurance?
How often do they inspect the home?  Pop in inspections?
How do they locate a tenant?  What type of background checks do they run?  Are they a full time Prop. Mgmt Company or just handling a few properties part time?  How do they handle evictions?  Etc...

In Texas, there are seveeral to choose from and prices/services vary.  can expect to pay around 10-15% of Rent per month.

Best of Luck