Profile picture for Bette Defarm

I'm sad that Zillow has chosen to be a Trulia/ tacky commercial site. I miss so many posters!

This always seems to happen on popular forums where management gets cocky....Where are people posting these days?
  • December 31 2008 - Clearwater
  • 2

Profile picture for Bette Defarm
Best, warmest wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!  

I'm right there with you, Bette.  This site has become a disfunctional nightmare, with random posts disconnected from their subject property, no discussions of any kind, and hip-deep in SPAM.  I don't understand what they have accomplished here - nobody is getting any real answers, and newbie posters don't get why their questions don't draw responses.  I can't see who is being served at all here - everyone is so frustrated with the lack of functionality that the hoped-for ad revenue is going to wither and die.

Profile picture for mina36
Hey guys. You are both absolutely right. zillow is destroying itself.

Hi Bette, Carol-Lynne and Mina,

Kristin from Zillow here.

I am sorry that you're disappointed in the changes we recently made. We are in the process of absorbing the feedback we've received from folks who have been active in Discussions. We are trying to make the site work for both Discussions and other types of conversations (such as Q&A). 

Some changes should appear next week and more later in January. Hopefully, you'll be patient with us as we work out the kinks. Please continue to provide specific feedback on what improvements you'd like to see and well do our best.

Happy New Year,
Kristin

Happy new year to all. Kristin, please keep working on the site. I think you have an opportunity to be so much better. If you want constructive suggestions, I think many poster could readily tell you what they miss the most. Many of these issues would not require major changes to the new format, just some reworking. Thanks for listening. We are hanging in there for now, but I miss many of the old posters and the spontaneous conversational nature of the site.

Thanks, Sunnyview.
We'll do our best.

Profile picture for sunshineday
Kristin, by the time you work out the kinks you will have lost all of posters who made this forum valuable.  I don't think you really want specific feedback on what improvements we'd like to see, nor is such feedback even necessary, as it is very clear that you've moved from an informative and useful model to a complete disaster which discourages actual discussion.

Profile picture for greg1231
Who has the time to negotiate this site to find the forums?  It is by far the worst format I have ever encountered. Despite the petty bickering on the old site, posters could ask and answer questions. Now it is a layrinth not worth the effort.

Profile picture for jimmy57
Best New Year wishes to all the posters with whom I've exchanged thoughts over the past many months.

The old "Discussions" was informative and invigorating.
This new Zillow "Advice" is a train wreck.  

The new format does feel rather disconnected. When someone asks about a property, I've no idea what they are referring to. There are no interesting discussions to follow. I still am unable to locate a region/state/city/area focus. Maybe if the Zillow keepers could explain their vision?

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Set the "region" to US.  There is no reason to use anything else.  Though you did have to type something in when posting, you don't when viewing, and I think the posting requirement may have been fixed by now.

And the navigation problem is not the "format", but the change in sort term; it used to sort by last to post; now it sorts by Thread Creation time; David of Zillow  authorized that to be changed back a week and a half ago and Daniel is rapidly working on the correction.

As far as being more commercial....  ever since a couple of the Zillow staff told me to go to the FireFox website and download a free advertisment blocking add-on, I've seen no commercial material of any kind on this site, except for an occasional phone number or link to a website, which was flagged and dealt with.

Sure the word "advertisement" still shows in a couple places on the screen, but there is no advertisement and no clue who might have been advertising.  That Zillow recomendation was the best improvment they could have offered.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
By the way, why was this thread created under the "buying" catagory rather than the "mixed bag" catagory?  I rarely browse the buying threads anymore.

Pasadenan is correct on several points. We haven't been able to address all the concerns voiced by regulars with next week's update. However, we're working on over 50 fixes/changes. Here's a list of some of the top things we are addressing with an update next week.

1. We are restoring the default sort order (last post rather than last creation).
2. We are going to remember your "type" filter, so if you were just looking at Discussion threads (if you leave cookies enabled) when you come back to Advice, Discussions will be all you will see.
3. We going to link the Home Q&A thread to the home it is about.
4.We are restoring the ability to move threads, so our moderators will be able to move threads to the correct category. For instance, this thread will be moved to mixed bag when the moderators have the feature back.
5. When creating a Discussion thread, you'll have to check the box to subscribe for email updates, we won't do it for you.
6. We're fixing the but in Firefox where clicking reply doesn't set the focus to the text box.
7. We're getting the Agent, Lender, All-Star, and Zillow badges back.
8. We'll display the thread's category when viewing the thread in the left column.

Hopefully, some of you are taking advantage of a couple of the improvements that many of you had sought. The three I'm thinking of are a less flaky text editor (we're now using the Yahoo! rich text editor), the new top navigation that helps you get straight into the category, and the addition of email&RSS subscription functionality so you could track conversations more easily).

We have more changes queued up for later in January. Those need some more time to bake.  Thanks for your continued interest and feedback.

Kristin

Profile picture for klarek the realist
Kristin, number 1 is the most important of all.  Good threads disappear quickly as it is now.

Profile picture for Bette Defarm
Oh...It was so good to read old friends! (I hope you don't feel I'm being presumptuous by calling you friends....but I've avidly read everyone posting here --except Kristen obviously-- for some time...
Pasa, I wrote "world" and somehow that brought me under the Florida, Clearwater umbrella. Odd. 

BTW You have always forcably reminded me of a beloved cousin who has Asperger's syndrome...

Profile picture for blue screen exile
My detailed orientedness is not related to any syndrome, but rather a sad/humorous experience in a foreign country in 4th grade.

A teacher didn't believe me; and asked me to "demonstrate".  I needed about 10 different items, and because I wasn't specific enough, every item provided was "close", but the entirely wrong item.

I would live to tell you the story sometime, but I don't think this thread is the right place.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I certainly hope we will also get the number of views count back on the discussion lists as well.  I used that to determine if a very many people thought it was worth looking at.

Pasa,
View count is in upper right hand corner of the thread.  Do you mean you wish you could see the view count before clicking into the thread?